Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always worked with enamels but am interested to switching to acrylics. I also do a lot of airbrushing.
Question: Are the sample-size paints (Ben Moore,etc) OK for models and airbrushing or will it clog the needle? Thanks in advance for your advice.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I've never ysed them with an airbrush but I have used them when painting apartments years ago and they should be thinned out some for an airbush but I'm not sure exactly how thin. The paints I used were Miller Paints.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I suppose you could use them but why? House paint pigments are probably not as fine as model or even craft paint pigments. Yeah its probably much cheaper in the quantity you get, but its probably not as well suited for model work either.

A lot of paints like that dont stick well to plastic, meaning you have to apply a primer coat...

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
ive used them for mural painting. i used a single action, and that may have had a lot to do with my success with them.

·
Premium Member
1,220 Posts
I've used them in an AB but it takes some work to get the mix right. You'll find that you'll need something like floetrol, hot weather thinners, rubbing alcohol or even windex mixed with it. House paints are indeed much heavier in pigment/particle compounds than AB and model paints so if you just try to use water to thin them then it will just go pear shaped. I find for me the floetrol with some airbrush medium tends to work best. But take care the more you break down the true paint the easier the dried product will fail, eg chalk up, go patchy or just take soo much longer to dry. Because they tend to be a heavier body you'll need to run a bigger needle or it will clog n splatter and you may find you need to up the psi as well. As a side note the heavier/denser particals being shot thru an AB will, if used consistantly cause wear faster than what the makers designed them for. djnick66 is dead right too they don't work to flash with out a decent flat primer coat.

Cheers,

Alec

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I kind of figured that the pigments would be too coarse, and as AJ detailed with the thinning process nedded for house paints, it would be cheaper and a lot easier to just use acrylics made for modeling.
I guess that would also expalin why the local paint store isn't mobbed with model geeks like me.
Thanks for the time and advice. Great forum!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts