Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wla-Mart is blowing out 1/64 scale JL's for $1 each. They were picked over pretty much but I did pick up 20 realistic cars. There were tons of zingers left, but I don't like them. The 5-car set (Spoiler's) were $5. The Fast and Furious 1/18 scale were $9.98. The 1/24 scale Cpt America(?), etc are just plain lame so I don't care what price they are I would never buy any of them!

I have over 800 of them now. I basically stopped collecting them when you couldn't find them on the pegs...anywhere! I didn't like that they didn't release the complete set at one time. It seemed the stores would order cases of the same stuff so there was a good chance you would not get the next release. I suppose this is the death throw for JL's, now the Wally-World has given them the kiss of death by blowing them out. Too bad those "sad" looking cherry "things" wouldn't disappear! It seems Wal-Mart only carries cheap quality crap now.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
I found two today at $1.00 that I liked, and picked them both up. There were tons of Clue and Poker cars, but passed on those. But someone will grab them for customs if nothing else.

The ones I liked were the various street freek series cars, and they were marked down to $3.00! Now remember, these were old enough that when they were first hung in this WM, they were $1.99 or so. Now they are marked DOWN to $3.00!

G

·
$1 JLs have finally shown up at my local WM too. Lots of Poncho Power, Volkswagen, and Street Freaks releases, and all sorts of singles. WM is not my favourite place to shop but, at this price, I picked up a couple of armloads.

What's more surprising than the price is the quality of what's on the pegs - flawless paint and finishing, correctly placed whitewalls, even the cards seem factory-fresh. This is noticeably superior product ( :hat: ) than what usually shows up at WM or the hobby store across town.

In the past I've knocked JL a few times for lack of quality control. The cars in WM now for only a buck (in Canadian $, yet) are making me take back a lot of those words. Come to think of it, maybe I should re-think my opposition to the new packaging too. After all, it's probably the dumping of everything in the old packaging that's allowing this $1 bonanza. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
A week ago I stumbled upon two freshly opened cases of Street Freaks 17. Every single one of them was there (no whites though :( ) and I thought "Wow, I wonder if these are gonna be opart of a $1 blowout???". Figured I could get some Spoilers and Zingers that I passed on at full price.

Took one to a scanner, and it rang up at $3.24 so I put a half dozen cars back.

Went back to the same store on Weds. and half the cars were gone. Hmmmmm.

Scanned another one, and this time they were a buck. :mad:

Picked myself up a couple of the Over-Charged Chargers.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Hey Rich, did ya scan more than one? I was in a TRU a couple of weeks ago when they had a bunch of new stuff coming in and some of the cars scanned differently depending on the release. Mustangs and Fords were 2.99, Roadtrips were 3.24, some Zingers were 1.99 and others were 2.99. The older stuff, MCUSA etc. all rang up at .99. What blew me away though, was finding almost two complete sets of the TRU exclusive Mopar or No Car release. 1 complete set and the other missing only the '62 Belvedere. Paid a buck apiece for 'em. :cool: By the way, congrats on your Patty's victory in California. :thumbsup: :wave:

·
Mustang Collector
4,090 Posts
I have been reading over the past few weeks all of the Wallys that have been offering the JLs for $1.00 and I can honestly say that I am happy for those that have been fortunate to find these deals. However, I am curious as to the logic behind this.
RC2 has stated that their profits have been less than steller due in part to higher than anticipated material costs. If Wally is selling the cars for $1.00 does this not mean that they were purchased for considerably less? Meaning that RC2 is selling these for virtually nothing. This does not seem like sound business decision.
I wonder, with diecast express on the bay and the new club why the cases were not offered through these avenues first. The cases that were sold for $18.00 shipped at express disappeared quickly. I know that I purchased around 20 cases. Excluding the shipping charges RC2 was still making over a dollar per car.
Seems to me that this would have been much more profitable than the current situation and possibly could have alleviated a portion of their missing profit.

Am I wrong?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I think the whole idea behind the "Johnny Dump" was to clear out old inventory, old packaging, old everything as quickly as possible to make way for the new processes being put into place. Inventory control, warehousing....it would have been a huge mess trying to separate or even assimilate the old stuff. It would have taken too long and cost too much (for a bean counter, anyway) to distribute this old merchandise in an orderly and just fashion. Thus, mass dumping of product to major outlets at cutrate prices to reduce backlog and create space for new product. It's part of business and happens all the time, from products in your local grocery store to new Chevy's sittin on the lot. :) This is also why were waiting for new product in the stores. They don't want two styles of JL's hanging on adjacent pegs competing against one another, especially when the new cars are priced higher. When the retailers start sending word that the old stuff is gone, I'm sure that the pegs will be stuffed with new product. Hope so anyway :wave:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts