Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wait a minute... THAT Matador?

Check Fleabay auction #s 260096998031 and 260097898922 ...

Looks like the same guy with the Fieros, and he diddled with the wheels here too...

But it's the fastback Matador. That's not what the pic on the Motormax site shows...

Hey, I think it's cool anyway, I'm just surprised...

--rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,465 Posts
I bought one of his Matadors; I agree the centerline wheels may not look all that great. This is why I'm making mine into a Bobby Allison Penske NASCAR--remember he drove one back in the day.

*Don't CRUSH 'em....RESTORE 'em!*

-Rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
896 Posts
That looks correct for a '75. Their website says '75 but shows a '73. Motormax seems to have problems getting the facts right on some of their cars (their AG '76 Caprice is labeled a '77, the '71-73 Pinto labeled a '70, etc).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
robertwadehall said:
That looks correct for a '75. Their website says '75 but shows a '73. Motormax seems to have problems getting the facts right on some of their cars (their AG '76 Caprice is labeled a '77, the '71-73 Pinto labeled a '70, etc).

In fact, I consider the 1/60 Ford Pinto of Fresh cherries like a 1973 model :rolleyes: , with more bigger bumpers than a 1971-72 but more smaller than 1974 and after
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
896 Posts
ilikecolllectdi said:
In fact, I consider the 1/60 Ford Pinto of Fresh cherries like a 1973 model :rolleyes: , with more bigger bumpers than a 1971-72 but more smaller than 1974 and after
Yes, those bumper guards look like a '73..I think the '71-72 had smaller ones..I haven't seen an early Pinto in 1:1 for a looooong time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
972 Posts
robertwadehall said:
Yes, those bumper guards look like a '73..I think the '71-72 had smaller ones..I haven't seen an early Pinto in 1:1 for a looooong time.
Yes, that is correct, Also the Runabout model, or hatchback version as depicted in the casting has the larger rear window like the 72 and up version. All 71's, including the Runabout (which I think came out at midyear) had the smaller rear window like the coupe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,534 Posts
madmanmark said:
I haven't seen an early Pinto in 1:1 for a looooong time.

Most have been turned into barbeque grills.
The last Pinto I saw last year was wrecked at a compact demo derby at a local fair. He did take second place to an AMC spirit. The pinto didn't even catch on fire once!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,373 Posts
So if the Fieros are out on the pegs and there is no picture on the MM web site and the Matador is out, is there any other surprises people have come across?


I like this type of surprise and take them all day long. On the Fiero, as noted unless it is a Indy Fiero it can't be a 1984 but it is dead on for 1985 s long as you fix the sail panel.

Here's a tip Adam figured out by accident. The rear engine lid does pry up and for those customizers out there who like to do Spoilers, if you shear an engine in half and black the area out it would make a killer Spoiler!!!! The lid is plastic as well so you can cut on it easier. This casting also has two screws in it rather than the common one in front with the rear tab. The rims are dead on and with a little black paint/water application these rims will be awesome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
jimhowie2000 said:
Yes, that is correct, Also the Runabout model, or hatchback version as depicted in the casting has the larger rear window like the 72 and up version. All 71's, including the Runabout (which I think came out at midyear) had the smaller rear window like the coupe.
I agree with you Jim with the bumpers must be a ´73 model, but the larger rear window came only with the Runabout, it was launched in the summer of 1971 like a 1972 model, and the smaller rear window was only for the 2 door fastback sedan (with an independient trunk door, not likely a hatchback)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
972 Posts
ilikecolllectdi said:
I agree with you Jim with the bumpers must be a ´73 model, but the larger rear window came only with the Runabout, it was launched in the summer of 1971 like a 1972 model, and the smaller rear window was only for the 2 door fastback sedan (with an independient trunk door, not likely a hatchback)
This drove me crazy because I could swear the 71 Runabout had a smaller window than the 72-up versions. Well, looks like we were both right, kind of. The 71 did have a smaller window than the 72-up versions but, it was not the same as the coupe, it was larger, nor the same as the 72-up versions.which were larger. It also had chrome strips on the decklid like a Chevy Nomad form the 55-58 era, also specific to the 71 models. I found an ad for one probably not the greatest quality picture but, it shows the back end of the car.
 

·
Old School Dinosaur
Joined
·
2,130 Posts
No Fieros but the Yellow Matador,yellow Hornet and Brown Hornet.
 

·
Old School Dinosaur
Joined
·
2,130 Posts
Ricky2400 said:
I bought one of his Matadors; I agree the centerline wheels may not look all that great. This is why I'm making mine into a Bobby Allison Penske NASCAR--remember he drove one back in the day.

*Don't CRUSH 'em....RESTORE 'em!*

-Rick
Like this
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got a black Matador and a blue Fiero today. I'm a little disappointed... the sprayed-on "chrome" on the passenger side, which was against the card so I couldn't see it in the store, is way sloppy. Looks like the paint mask wasn't flush against the body, so the trim is all wide and spray-can-looking...

Still a cool-looking casting. Pics when I get a chance...

--rick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here's some pics of the Matador I got. It's really huge. Looking at the passenger side, you can see the sorta fuzzy overspray from the chrome trim... oops. I REALLY like this casting as far as detail and overall proportions, but I kinda think the wheels are too small for the casting... anybody else?

I attached these to a post in the Fiero thread, and I don't know how else to get them to show here... is there another way to use the same attachments in 2 or more threads?

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/attachment.php?attachmentid=39283

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/attachment.php?attachmentid=39284

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/attachment.php?attachmentid=39285

--rick
 
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top