Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,187 Posts
This casting is actually based on a 1973-75 Super Beetle. The name on the base is VW 1300, which is incorrect- the model designation for the 1973+ Super Beetle was 1303. Regardless of all that, it's actually a really accurate casting. It's always been one of my favorites. I've actually recently embarked on a long-term quest to collect all variations of it. We'll see how long that takes, lol.

I have a couple of the blue version shown above that are pretty beat up, but a few months ago I got this one that's mint in a very much less than mint blistercard. I don't know the production year but my guess is mid-90s.

·
Super Moderator
2,187 Posts
Here's another Edocar Coca-Cola release, pink with blacked-out windows and colorful graphics. I got a pretty good deal on this one in near-mint packaging. It's called "Atlanta" and is numbered CF-2.

Copyright 1994 on the box, and under one of the flaps is what I think is a production date: 4/94

I love packaging that can be opened and re-closed without damaging it so I can let the car out and roll it around my desk, but then still put it back in the box for display.

Wait... is that... an interior hiding under the blacked out windows...?

Sure looks like it to me! Gotta wonder why they didn't just give it clear windows if it was going to get an interior anyway.

·
Super Moderator
2,187 Posts
I recently discovered that Maisto had a "Christmas Collection" line in the late 90s and early 2000s. This VW 1300 is in its original box which says it's copyright 1999. The only difference from the standard casting is the eye loop screwed into the roof so it can be hung on a Christmas tree.

·
Administrator
39,584 Posts
Nice! I dont recall any Maisto with the textured bases before, but I probably have seen them. Homemade diecast ornaments carry a good premium on ebay, did you look this one up to see what it goes for in the box?

·
Super Moderator
2,187 Posts
I only paid $2.50 (plus shipping) for this one on eBay. There aren't any showing up under sold listings, but there is an active listing for one where they're asking a little over $15. The box for that one is in a lot better shape than mine.

I think most Maisto castings have a textured base, but the newer ones have a much finer texture than these old castings. Here's a few with the heavier texture. It does show up a lot better on the chromed bases.

·
Super Moderator
2,187 Posts
The VW 1300 has returned to the Fresh Metal line! This new release was found in an Adventure Force 9-pack at Walmart a couple weeks ago. It's covered with very thick yellow paint with silver headlights and red taillights. I think this is the first time the lights have received any kind of detailing on this casting.

Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Toy

At some point in the late 2000s or early 2010s the body was retooled, and with that retool the casting lines around the front and back became much more prominent and distorted the features a bit. Unfortunately this new release is the same in those areas, but I'm still happy to see the casting brought back.

Car Vehicle Tire Wheel Hood

The base has been newly retooled with thicker bumper supports. It's extremely common to find the older ones with missing bumpers, so it's a welcome change. The text on the base is rotated 180 degrees from the original and has had "© Volkswagen 2020" added. There is also now a raised area for the date code to be stamped (this one is 12128, translating to the 28th week of 2021). Otherwise the base is essentially the same, carrying the same heavy texture as its predecessors, and the same incorrect VW 1300 designation.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Product

And as a fun bonus, the casting still has working suspension :D

·
Super Moderator
2,187 Posts
This orange variation was produced from 2010 to 2017. This example in my collection has the same retooled body as the new 2021 release. I think all the orange releases have the retooled body, but I'm not sure of that. It would be interesting to find a retooled blue one if they're out there.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Tire Car Vehicle Toy Wheel

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Grille Hood

1 - 10 of 10 Posts