Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
I have never seen a performance difference useing 110 verses C16.for the past 3 years 110 is what I have used for all racing except NCS events which we are required which to me makes no sense the way the prices are I have never had vapor lock problems with 110 and there is NO performance advantage with the higher octane on the C-12 you would not see a change eather.the actual usable compression of these motors is what keeps you from seeing any performance ganes beyond what they can produce past the 110/111 octane mark

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, i can see no performance difference, we have been using Rocket 111 which is the old Unocal 76 brand seems to work very well. The C-12 would be for the NCS Race in April, C-16 price has gotten out of hand.

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
I have had my best performance with the Rocket 111 its my favorite to use but its hard to find around here unless you order it I had access to it because of a guy I use to work with bought it in 55 gallon drums for his race car

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
You guys may be on to something. Ever try to writing it down and send it in as a rule change? Sounds reasonable to me.

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
Your right jim but there are lots of people that think its better because of the "additives" in the C-16 or think there getting a performance gain from it just because it is 116 octane. it is a way to cut costs for host tracks and racers to run a fuel that gives them what they need without wasting there money. unless QSAC is getting endorsement money from VP which I know there not I don't know why they promote it or use it. but the bottom line is people like buying that overpriced over octane fuel I have heard it all to like that's all my car will run on or the other stuff will vapor lock. it could be submitted but I don't think it would get approved just my opinion

·
Registered
304 Posts
Copied from QSAC Rule book:

"TRACK FUEL (11.22.07) All competitors will be required to use a pre-mixed, host-track pro-vided fuel. The fuel specified is VP (brand) C-16 or C-12, mixed with 2 ounces of AmsOil Saber 2-stroke oil per gallon. QSAC recommends that the host track buy fuel in 5 gallon containers. This will allow unused fuel to be sold in 5 gallon increments to participants after the racing event is completed."

You can run the C12 at the NCS

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
This is the question asked....."Has anybody ran VP C-12 fuel, if so how does it compare to C-16 in performance."

"I" found NO performance gain from C-16.

Btw - thanks dpopham. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
304 Posts
I was reply to the statements about a rule change. It's not necessary as the option already exist. I believe we ran c12 at an NCS in Easley in '08. But I'm not a good judge of performance gain/loss. I just try to go around in circles without running into anything:thumbsup:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Has anybody ran VP C-12 fuel, if so how does it compare to C-16 in performance.
VP C-12 is unleaded C-16 is leaded . C-12 burns very clean a good thing, C-16 with the lead in it has much better lubricating qualities.
In our Qsac West point series we test fuel for additives, any fuel found with methyl alcohol/methanol is not allowed.
Even some pump fuel can contain methanol opening the door to add more, so we don't allow any fuel that contains any additive, I know not many clubs have test equipment so its simpler to just mandate C-12 or C-16

Over the last three years I tested many of our racers fuels in a blind test and found a few with methyl alcohol/methanol, Union 76 , and others can on a regional bases can contain these additive.There are some additives out there that are carcinogen's benzine etc. I think that's why Qsac mandates a C-12 or C-16 and other unoxygenated racing fuels.
Thanks Bill Scott

·
Registered
266 Posts
Bill -- what do you use to test fuel and is the equipment expensive?
We use a meter that measures specific gravity against a test solution $30.00 a quart, meter is about $250.00 I think.

we also have chemicals that test for additive about $65.00 2-3 year supply
you have to be a racing entity like Nascar or Qsac to buy them.

There is a simple test for methyl alcohol/methanol called 30/30/30 test, you use equal parts methanol , water , fuel sample, in a beaker this will reveal any water soluble additives including methanol.

If you do seach on racing fuel testing there is tons of info out there, or give me a call.
Bill

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
VP C-12 is unleaded C-16 is leaded . C-12 burns very clean a good thing, C-16 with the lead in it has much better lubricating qualities.
In our Qsac West point series we test fuel for additives, any fuel found with methyl alcohol/methanol is not allowed.
Even some pump fuel can contain methanol opening the door to add more, so we don't allow any fuel that contains any additive, I know not many clubs have test equipment so its simpler to just mandate C-12 or C-16

Over the last three years I tested many of our racers fuels in a blind test and found a few with methyl alcohol/methanol, Union 76 , and others can on a regional bases can contain these additive.There are some additives out there that are carcinogen's benzine etc. I think that's why Qsac mandates a C-12 or C-16 and other unoxygenated racing fuels.
Thanks Bill Scott
According to VP Racing fuel site the C-12 & C-16 are both leaded fuels.
http://www.vpracingfuels.com/vp-drag-racing.html

·
Premium Member
4,139 Posts
Well the last time I checked if the handout fuel or track fuel comes from the same can how much of x and y ingredients don't matter the brand won't eather cause everyone will be using it

·
Registered
266 Posts
According to VP Racing fuel site the C-12 & C-16 are both leaded fuels.
http://www.vpracingfuels.com/vp-drag-racing.html
You are 100% correct, I should have said lower lead and lower octane. Last time I purchased it, I think it was very close too the same price as C-16 ????
C-10 is unleaded and also worked very will !! . I still like C-16, better Lubricating
Fuel cost per race is minimal compared to some of the other costs, but any place you can save is a good thing !!!
Bill

·
Registered
669 Posts
The fuel rules are pretty open to what can be run. Past NCS races have run C-12, Sunoco Racing and CAM II due to availablity/cost issues. As in the past, I think it would be prudent for the host tracks to get QSAC's approval to run any variation from C-16.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
I just check the price today for VP C-16 at my local supplier and it was $13.48 a gallon going to get some this weekend eh

1 - 20 of 30 Posts