Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here’s my take on this intriguing kit from Pegasus.

ML 1.JPG
ML 3.JPG

The Moonlander is molded in grey ABS plastic and it is well engineered. Details are clear and crisp. Despite its complexity, this model is designed to be “almost” foolproof to build. There are multiple copies of the components and just about all of the parts are keyed so that they go together correctly.

ML 4.JPG
IMG_0597.JPG

The gate stubs are a bit thick, but they are attached to the part’s inner seam and not the surface. They can be easily eliminated with flush cut nippers and a few passes with a sanding stick.

ML 9.JPG
ML 10.JPG

The instructions are comprised of black and white drawings that are clear-cut and easy to follow. However, there is one step that could have used a bit more clarity. Be aware of the orientation of parts B4 when attaching them to part E8. You want to make sure that the longer stub on B4 faces towards the outside of E8.

ML 7.JPG
ML 11.JPG

The Moonlander is basically an incredible amalgamation of 30 rocket engines and 18 fuel tanks mounted on a landing platform …. If you like repetiton, you should enjoy this kit

ML 12.JPG
ML 13.JPG

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I found assembly to be real breeze. No fit problems and no glaring seams. The instructions recommend Tamiya extra thin cement, which works fine for most parts. For larger parts, I used Plastruct Bondene because it has a slightly longer drying time. After only two sessions at the modeling bench and with a very limited number of tools, I was really satisfied at the progress that I had made.

ML 14.JPG
IMG_0592.JPG

·
BANNED
7,983 Posts
"The gate stubs are a bit thick, but they are attached to the part’s inner seam and not the surface. They can be easily eliminated with flush cut nippers and a few passes with a sanding stick. "
shows that it is engineered with the professional model builder in mind.
those kind of details, not difficult to include, show that the designers want repeat business.
thanks for sharing

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"The gate stubs are a bit thick, but they are attached to the part’s inner seam and not the surface. They can be easily eliminated with flush cut nippers and a few passes with a sanding stick. "
shows that it is engineered with the professional model builder in mind.
those kind of details, not difficult to include, show that the designers want repeat business.
thanks for sharing
I've built the Pegasus V-2 rocket and the Martian War Machine, which are both well done kits and make for nice builds straight out of the box. But the Moonlander is light-years ahead in terms of complexity, part count and detail. When making models, I hope to spend my time building the kit rather than fighting the plastic that it's made from. So far, the Moonlander has exceeded my expectations. It was clearly designed by scale modelers for scale modelers. Pegasus will definitely get my repeat business.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts