Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both by Minichamps - the white P1800 is evocative of "The Saint" starring Roger Moore - I had the Corgi as a boy :)

:wave:

Steve

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
THAT!!!! Is one of my favorite cars of all time. :thumbsup: Don't know much about them though. Never had to fool with one. They must have been pretty darn good cars. I've always considered Volvo to be a well made dependable auto. We had several of the "family" cars we worked on and they gave little more than routine maintenance work. The times I did have to go deep; I found them to be something I needed the whole tool box for the repair.

A guy had one of the dark green ES models when I was in high school. It stopped me in my tracks the first time I saw it. I'd ride out of my way to see if it was parked outside the laundry where it spent most work days. Laundry must have paid well back then. I like it better the the P1800 and always thought that was a cool ride. The ES HAD to be one of the best lookin' SW's since the '55 Nomad....Or since.

Anyone know if any of them came with SU's instead of the Strombergs? There was another guy when I was in HS had one of the 40 FORD lookin' ones (1600?). But I recall his had SU's. Wheather it was something standard or after market I don't know.

Very nice examples. That needs to be something I should put on the "Acquire List." Its getting longer and more expensive.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ClearHooter said:
THAT!!!! Is one of my favorite cars of all time. :thumbsup: Don't know much about them though. Never had to fool with one. They must have been pretty darn good cars. I've always considered Volvo to be a well made dependable auto. We had several of the "family" cars we worked on and they gave little more than routine maintenance work. The times I did have to go deep; I found them to be something I needed the whole tool box for the repair.

A guy had one of the dark green ES models when I was in high school. It stopped me in my tracks the first time I saw it. I'd ride out of my way to see if it was parked outside the laundry where it spent most work days. Laundry must have paid well back then. I like it better the the P1800 and always thought that was a cool ride. The ES HAD to be one of the best lookin' SW's since the '55 Nomad....Or since.

Anyone know if any of them came with SU's instead of the Strombergs? There was another guy when I was in HS had one of the 40 FORD lookin' ones (1600?). But I recall his had SU's. Wheather it was something standard or after market I don't know.

Very nice examples. That needs to be something I should put on the "Acquire List." Its getting longer and more expensive.
I can't be sure, but, I think the P1800 had twin SU carbs - the saloon (sedan) 123GT, which used the same engine, certainly had SUs.

The ES semi-estate had Bosch fuel injection - I agree a great looking shape. Others of the same ilk, were the Reliant Scimitar GTE & Lancia Beta HPE - neither of which seem to be available in die-cast, although, Pathfinder made a white-metal Scimitar & Tron have made the Lancia in resin.

Steve

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
While I never really cared for Volvos, I always loved the look of that car. I can remember working on the NJ Turnpike, pumping gas, when I was about 21 years old. The must have been a Volvo owners show down in Maryland one weekend, and a line of over 25 of those 1800s came rolling through together. It was an amazing sight - under normal circumstances, you could go all year without seeing one of them, and here comes 25!

·
Registered
343 Posts
During the first half or so of 1973, during a year off from my studies, I worked for a car dealership as a salesman. We sold Mercedes, Volvo and used cars. I never sold a Mercedes but I did sell several Volvos - including two 1800ES models. I remember them well. They were sold only for two model years in the USA - '72 & '73. They were available in only seven colors. One that I sold was yellow with a brown interior - not an attractive combo. The dark green ones and the red ones looked best to me. They were fuel injected and could be had with either an auto or a manual trans. I believe that the coupe version had been discontinued in the US by then and only the ES was available. The backlite was cool - just a piece of glass with no frame. As I remember, they cost about $6,000 new; at the same time the standard Volvo wagon (145) was about $4,500. I wanted an ES but bought a 145 when I left the job for school.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ranchero said:
During the first half or so of 1973, during a year off from my studies, I worked for a car dealership as a salesman. We sold Mercedes, Volvo and used cars. I never sold a Mercedes but I did sell several Volvos - including two 1800ES models. I remember them well. They were sold only for two model years in the USA - '72 & '73. They were available in only seven colors. One that I sold was yellow with a brown interior - not an attractive combo. The dark green ones and the red ones looked best to me. They were fuel injected and could be had with either an auto or a manual trans. I believe that the coupe version had been discontinued in the US by then and only the ES was available. The backlite was cool - just a piece of glass with no frame. As I remember, they cost about $6,000 new; at the same time the standard Volvo wagon (145) was about $4,500. I wanted an ES but bought a 145 when I left the job for school.
Volvo did not forget the styling of the P1800 ES - in 1986, they released a new model, the 480 ES, which drew on the style of the earlier car :

Even today they are still reusing the concept - have you seen a photo of the new C30?

Steve

·
Registered
343 Posts
Steve - I have a Volvo 480 from Doorkey - I think the model was really made by Pilen. I like the looks of the C30. It reminds me of the failed BMW 318 and the failed Mercedes C230K and even the long gone VW Scirocco and VW Corrado. Those cars are perfect in concept but did not sell well in the USA (they all had fours when introduced). They all did become great bargains when the manufacturers had to dump them; I would guess the C30 will meet the same fate in the USA. The C30 is, I think, FWD and that is a further nail in the coffin. I believe the only car of this body type that could do well here is RWD with a big engine. Maybe a Mustang or Firebird or the upcoming Camaro concept made into a "shooting brake" - like an Aston DB done up by a coachbuilder for your market. Four cylinders need not apply; it needs to have grunt. I'd like to own a car like this. I have a new Mustang coupe but it is too small to carry stuff and I have an older Buick Estate Wagon but it is too big to enjoy when driving. An 1800ES with a V-8 and six speed would be ideal and could replace both cars but Ford is too dumb to recognize this and make a Mustang shooting brake that would work.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
ranchero said:
Steve - I have a Volvo 480 from Doorkey - I think the model was really made by Pilen. I like the looks of the C30. It reminds me of the failed BMW 318 and the failed Mercedes C230K and even the long gone VW Scirocco and VW Corrado. Those cars are perfect in concept but did not sell well in the USA (they all had fours when introduced). They all did become great bargains when the manufacturers had to dump them; I would guess the C30 will meet the same fate in the USA. The C30 is, I think, FWD and that is a further nail in the coffin. I believe the only car of this body type that could do well here is RWD with a big engine. Maybe a Mustang or Firebird or the upcoming Camaro concept made into a "shooting brake" - like an Aston DB done up by a coachbuilder for your market. Four cylinders need not apply; it needs to have grunt. I'd like to own a car like this. I have a new Mustang coupe but it is too small to carry stuff and I have an older Buick Estate Wagon but it is too big to enjoy when driving. An 1800ES with a V-8 and six speed would be ideal and could replace both cars but Ford is too dumb to recognize this and make a Mustang shooting brake that would work.
I am also a huge fan of these cars. I've always liked the looks of them and there's just something really cool about a 2 door wagon :tongue: By the way ranchero, I know what you mean about being caught with either too much or not enough vehicle. As far as Ford goes, there are a great many rumors (and even some real photos) of a Wagon, based on the Mustang, possibly due out in '09. I'm guessing the Shelby option would be out of the question ( :tongue: ) but the 300hp V-8 is said to have made the list. :wave:

·
Registered
343 Posts
I don't need a Shelby; the base (GT) V8 in a Mustang Shooting Brake would suit me perfectly. I only need seating for two people but want more useful area for carrying stuff - just like an 1800ES (or even a Ranchero). I'd like to see photos of that Mustang wagon; I'd be happy to trade both my Mustang coupe and Buick Estate Wagon and make do with one car for the job that two cars now have.

·
Registered
343 Posts

Steve - I knew I had a Volvo 480ES model from the time when the car was current. This one is by the Dutch company AHC (surprsingly release number 480) and was made as a promo for Volvo. The die cast metal baseplate indicates that the toy was made in Spain; by the type of packaging I am quite sure the job was done for AHC by Pilen. I got this in 1987 from Model Auto in Leeds. The doors open and the flip up headlights operate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts