Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make a voltage regulator to regulate a 2s lipo reciever pack down to 6v for the reciever. Maybe some of you electronic gurus can come up with a simple circuit diagram for something I can make.
The part that I am unsure about is how much current passes through this circuit.

· Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats the servo I have. It looks to me the best I can figure is that it draws about 1 amp max. But the Novak BEC regulator is rated for 3 amps. The servo is the problem. The spektrrum receiver can handle up to 9 volts it looks like.

· Registered
1,069 Posts
I just talked to futaba and it draws 2amps the tech said its only rated for 6 volts but it will work with 7.4 volts but will not last aslong then with 6volts back in the 90's if i didnt want to spend money on a better servo i would just take the s148 and run the red wire to the pos of the battery and it worked like that for over a year hooked to a 6cell battery.

· Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just talked to futaba and it draws 2amps the tech said its only rated for 6 volts but it will work with 7.4 volts but will not last aslong then with 6volts back in the 90's if i didnt want to spend money on a better servo i would just take the s148 and run the red wire to the pos of the battery and it worked like that for over a year hooked to a 6cell battery.
Thanks.
Good info. I did order the novak BEC thing, but depending on weight I may or may not use it. I did a bunch of research yesterday and it looks like you cannot make a simple circuit using a zener diode. The current is too high and the "noise" is an issue.

· Premium Member
5,741 Posts

· Premium Member
1,226 Posts
No noise as the diode just acts like a resistor. Yes if you run enough current they can get warm. That is why you size per the amount of current you are handling. watts = V X amps, so at .7 volts and maybe 1.5 amps max, you are at 1 watt or so dissipated. Not much. If you get diodes with a couple of watts capability, they should hardly get warm.

John

· Registered
1,119 Posts
Castle Creations makes a 10amp BEC that can be programmed, via their date link cabl , to whatever voltage you want. I currently use one in my rock crawler to cut the 3s voltage down to safe 6.0v for the reciever. :thumbsup:

· Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't see the need for a regulator we have been running 6 cell for years with no need for a regulator and servos and receivers last for years SRM
Your ESC has BEC circuitry that supplies the receiver with approximately 6 volts. With the lipo receiver pack, the voltage will be anywhere from 8.4V when fully charged to 6V when dead.
I got the novak thing, but probably will not use it. I've heard from a few guys that I race with that they have been using 7.4V receiver packs for quite some time with no problems.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.