Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make a voltage regulator to regulate a 2s lipo reciever pack down to 6v for the reciever. Maybe some of you electronic gurus can come up with a simple circuit diagram for something I can make.
The part that I am unsure about is how much current passes through this circuit.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
the problem with the current voltage regulators is the noise generated in the regulators and causing the receiver to go into failsafe or other problems..
there are several made and sold on the internet but are having the same problems.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
does anyone kmow what kind of current draw a 9650servo, receiver and transponder have.
Thanks Tom
Amb transponder draws 15mA's per the manf

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats the servo I have. It looks to me the best I can figure is that it draws about 1 amp max. But the Novak BEC regulator is rated for 3 amps. The servo is the problem. The spektrrum receiver can handle up to 9 volts it looks like.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I just talked to futaba and it draws 2amps the tech said its only rated for 6 volts but it will work with 7.4 volts but will not last aslong then with 6volts back in the 90's if i didnt want to spend money on a better servo i would just take the s148 and run the red wire to the pos of the battery and it worked like that for over a year hooked to a 6cell battery.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I have been running the novak 3amp bec now for about 5 months with no problems. futaba 9650 servo and futaba fasst system still working strong.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just talked to futaba and it draws 2amps the tech said its only rated for 6 volts but it will work with 7.4 volts but will not last aslong then with 6volts back in the 90's if i didnt want to spend money on a better servo i would just take the s148 and run the red wire to the pos of the battery and it worked like that for over a year hooked to a 6cell battery.
Thanks.
Good info. I did order the novak BEC thing, but depending on weight I may or may not use it. I did a bunch of research yesterday and it looks like you cannot make a simple circuit using a zener diode. The current is too high and the "noise" is an issue.

·
Premium Member
6,312 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
No noise as the diode just acts like a resistor. Yes if you run enough current they can get warm. That is why you size per the amount of current you are handling. watts = V X amps, so at .7 volts and maybe 1.5 amps max, you are at 1 watt or so dissipated. Not much. If you get diodes with a couple of watts capability, they should hardly get warm.

John

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Castle Creations makes a 10amp BEC that can be programmed, via their date link cabl , to whatever voltage you want. I currently use one in my rock crawler to cut the 3s voltage down to safe 6.0v for the reciever. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I used a Reedy 636 lipo regulator really small and used it with the new SMC hard case RX pack worked great no issues.(in a 10.5 one cell car with a sphere)

It was 22.99 AT MY LOCAL TRACK:thumbsup:

Jake

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I dont see the need for a regulator we have been running 6 cell fo ryears with no need for a regulator and servos and recievers last for years SRM

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't see the need for a regulator we have been running 6 cell for years with no need for a regulator and servos and receivers last for years SRM
Your ESC has BEC circuitry that supplies the receiver with approximately 6 volts. With the lipo receiver pack, the voltage will be anywhere from 8.4V when fully charged to 6V when dead.
I got the novak thing, but probably will not use it. I've heard from a few guys that I race with that they have been using 7.4V receiver packs for quite some time with no problems.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I use the Airtronics 2.4 Fhss-2 system it says in the directions to not exceed 6 v with it for 22(regulator) bucks vrs 90(a new RX) I will go the 22 dollar route every time.

Jake

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.