Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my home track is using a variable power supply, and not the Tomy wallwarts. I know that I run G-Jets at 12 Volts, fray cars at 20, my G3 superstocks at 18.

My question is, what is the recommended voltage for the magnatraction and G+ cars? What is the voltage that the wall warts were set at with these old sets? I have tried running them at 18 volts and they just seem way faster than I remember as a kid and they are really tough to drive. I was able to run them round and round on my little AFX 12 foot crossover as a kid, but can't keep them on now on my 45 feet of track. I know I am older and maybe my trigger finger is a little slower, but geez, I'm 37, it can't be that bad yet. :rolleyes:

If anyone has a good answer for me that would be great.

Thanks!

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Oh Marty, Not you too!

I'm guessing your tuning skills are much improved since your youth and much like me, the old eye to hand thing is rearing it's ugly head! 37? Egads, I wish! I got hangnails older than that. :p Hows the weather on the convergent plateau? Just today we've returned to 45 degrees, grey and raining on the westside- blecccc! At least I dont have to shovel it. Looking forward to coming up and meeting the crew at your next event. I'm gonna try and drag Jerry along too!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bill, yeah, that is a lot of it, better tuning, slower reflexes. When I was a kid, they didn't get oiled, shoes didn't get changed, or tires, I just ran them until they didn't anymore. =) Maybe that's why they were slower...

I tried running them at 16 volts like Brian mentioned and they were a lot more drivable, seems like a pretty good setting to me.

As for weather, Maple Valley is just about done with the snow on the ground, we still have a snowman hanging on for dear life inthe fron yard though. You definitely need to come to Deans place next month for the race, he has a great track and it's always a good time!

·
Registered
100 Posts
martybauer31 said:
Bill, yeah, that is a lot of it, better tuning, slower reflexes. When I was a kid, they didn't get oiled, shoes didn't get changed, or tires, I just ran them until they didn't anymore. =) Maybe that's why they were slower...

I tried running them at 16 volts like Brian mentioned and they were a lot more drivable, seems like a pretty good setting to me.

As for weather, Maple Valley is just about done with the snow on the ground, we still have a snowman hanging on for dear life inthe fron yard though. You definitely need to come to Deans place next month for the race, he has a great track and it's always a good time!
I have had this same question for a while and after reading this thread. I had been running at 18 volts for quite a while and the cars seemed way too fast. I spent some time last night with my G+ cars experimenting with voltage. I agree with all the 16 volts for Aurora G+ provides the best combination of speed and handling.

Thanks to all.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Here are my thoughts:

My Tomy wall warts put out 20.5 volts with no load (no cars running).

The wall wart is rated 7VA (Volts x Amps = 7), so when a car is drawing current, the voltage drops accordingly, and the 7VA is not exceeded.

If a G+ draws anywhere from 1 to 4 amps, then the wall wart is providing it with a voltage range of 7 volts to 1.75 volts, to maintain the 7VA output from the power supply.

With a constant 18 volts, the car will be getting anywhere from 18VA to 72VA.

I think the above is correct, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I agree it would be difficult to run tests at variable voltages with wall warts.

My test on the G+ cars was done using a variable Trakmate power supply (1 - 30 volts, 10 amp) used on a 38 foot four lane track so there was no guesswork regarding voltage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts