Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
as long as you use a strong enough motoer, die casts are great to drive. They handle well because of the lower center of gravity. You;re not going to win any races with them, but they're still fast enough to fly into a wall if you mess up on the turns... only this time, there's enough weight to leave a dent in the wall

hehehehe

I also dremel out inside of the body as much as I can. It really helps cut down on the overall weight of the body. Just becareful you don;t sand through the body though. Once the metal heats up, it really grinds down fast. Keep a glass of water near by to cool the body down. I like to dip them every few seconds when I'm dremeling (is dremeling a word?)

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Now there is a sweet DC, Jimmy! :thumbsup:
Any slotter can wedge a stock chassis up into a DC, yeah? Your craftsmanship is brilliant!
Parts bins are great, yeah?! Keep at it!

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks guys. Your prasie is my motivation.

And... God bless the parts bin!
Actually joe, the tall body helps a lot. You don't have to lay the motor flat against the chassis. I glued a piece of hard rubber hose to the front end of the motor and gave it about a 30 degree angle of lift on that end. That little lifting gave me the tiny extra bit of room I needed to get the motor in. It doesn't affect the gear any.

So... same power, shorter chassis

I made the pickup blades pallete out of 2 thin hard plastic sheets. I spread a little Rub N Glue between the 2 sheets and inserted the blades. It really holds the wipers tight and it still allows me to replace them later, if need be.

The body came clean. I added the decals

·
Registered
327 Posts
VJ,

Nice looking rod-ride. As before, have thought what would happen if done in 1/32 size ... think not . . . Cool idea, leaves world wide open for you, in that a ton of HO done in die-cast.

Cheers,
Jas

·
Registered
806 Posts
Jimmy- This is a true Hot Rod. You are amazing with the Atlas chassis, HP-7 motors Tyco wipers, just like the real hot rods and their combination of parts from every manufacturer.
I haven't touched a Tyco wiper blade since the 70's. I have a couple old TycoPro's but they rarely see any track time.
Jim

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks T-Jim. I've always liked Tycp pros. They make great drag cars, but they don't handle curves that well. I loved their bodies too. I think they made some of the nicest bodies for HO cars ever produced

1 - 11 of 11 Posts