Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'll put up pics later but has anyone else seen the vista cruiser in a much more subtle color of green floating around? that is more subtle in that it is not neon green.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I found the neon green looking one and this one, but they are both hard to come by around here. I had this picture already so figured I would include it.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
they are here in North East florida already... the new ones, maybe some left over neon green ones (which is the one i like better actually)

·
Registered
763 Posts
The neon green (or lime green or day-glo green - as it gets many names) was produced in error. The plan from Mattel was to do the initial release in a similar color scheme to the Mercury Commuter Wagon from 1968. This was because of the 2 dogs sticking out the rear feature that they both have.

However, when the first shots arrived in El Segundo they realized that the shade of green was way too bright for what they wanted, but when they contacted the factory production had already started. Therefore Mattel requested what is known as a running change. This is where the factory deliberately changes something on the model during production. The bright green was produced and packaged for 2 weeks before the running change to correct the color shade. The much more subtle green is being produced for the remainder of the 12 week run of the model (10 weeks in total) before the model gets changed to white for an additional 12 week run.

:) :D :p

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
David.....wow thats nice to know. and Owl thats exactly what mine look like, i have both, and unfortunately already took one out of the package in the neon lime green for my son to play with ;) oh well. it's nice to know mattel realized how ugly that "neon" lime green looked to begin with, just shocked me at the difference when i spotted the darker one on vacation this weekend :thumbsup:

·
Registered
763 Posts
I actually prefer the neon green color. I think it is funky and cool. I like the other one too, but there is somethign about this bright color that appeals to me.

I wish they would do more errors like this (and the Prius from the same batch that came out ecru, before a running change made it metallic silvery green).

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I actually prefer the neon green color. I think it is funky and cool. I like the other one too, but there is somethign about this bright color that appeals to me.

I wish they would do more errors like this (and the Prius from the same batch that came out ecru, before a running change made it metallic silvery green).

agreed.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I've found both versions... I like it better in the sea mist metallic green... But that lime green is the PERFECT color for doing a Mr. Bean Mini Cooper!!!

·
Registered
763 Posts
You get quite a few running changes on models. Not just factory thngs (like paint shades or wheel swaps due to running out of the particular wheel at the time).

The Dodge Challenger was changed from flat to metallic.
The VW Golf in purple was changed from clear to smoke windows.
The Garbage Truck changed from a gray interior to black.
The Vista Cruiser was changed form neon green to metallic green.
the Toyota Prius was changed from ecru to green.

·
Registered
319 Posts
David,
I waited so long for the Vista from MBX, very disappointed, why no side vista window? There seems to be a obvious one, to thin because of sizing?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts