Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:roll:

A cream rw no 62 Cougar.There is no doubt in my mind that it is the real deal.It had 5 or 6 small chips, which considering it turned up in a box of toys at an auction in Denmark which sold for less than $50, not South Africa as is normal for cream Cougars - :cool: amazing.It lacks the windshield wipers fitted to normal issue Cougars , but it does have a tow guide.It is a joy to handle a holy grail -that 67 box just above it is just about the rarest issue for that box type -i viewed a great collection today, and came home with a near mint white 68 Porsche and these other cars came from a flea market - both the Muira(red base,wide wheels) and Iso only have 2 small chips apeice.The Lesneys in the photo are all upgrades except the Lotus which is a medium shade variation between my dark and light blue examples.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a holygrail -only a few thousand were made, and almost all of these went to South Africa.They dont have windshield wipers, unlike all of the green ones,so they are regarded as the very earliest production and for some reason Lesney had intended this cream with white interior to be produced and then they changed their minds and made all the rest green with red seats

·
Registered
517 Posts
some interesting models did find their way to africa.
very nice cougar. do you remember when you first saw it cataloged?

very nice sf too. :thumbsup: always liked the white 68 Porsche. the lotus has a very minor hood width variation, if I can get a decent picture i’ll try to post it.
when you are searching for sf, what is the model to box ratio?

it’s strange but there are some sf that may never have been boxed. some were first issued in blisters and then boxed. if a model had a quick variation, the first issued may never have had box :)

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
talking pre 1975 Lesney, Boxed to loose is at least 100:1, because I mostly go to flea markets,rather than swap meets,and even at swapmeets,the boxed items never account for more than 10%,even less on King Size, but yesteryears are the most common boxed , around 20% maybe.
pre 1973 blisters are much rarer today than G,H,I boxes.Post 1973 blisters seem to fetch the same price as a loose mint car,unless they are Japanese.
I didnt know about cream Cougars as a child, so I discovered them in 1997 when i bought my first collecting guide.I never expected to handle one.Apparently another local collector, well known to the yellow Cougar guy,who recently sold me a pair of good Redline revvers for $10 each, has a green rw Opel diplomat with a plastic baseplate,although I dont know him well enough to discuss his collection - he is an Opel nut and owns a real 1968 Opel Commodore V6 coupe.this item was also found locally in a child´s toybox.
it just goes to show only a fraction of the huge lesney production has survived to reach collectors

·
Registered
517 Posts
thanks for the collecting information. :)
i wonder how many also collected boxes. i saved boxes but didn’t necessarily collect boxes.
somebody in the late seventies attempted and circulated a box chart using a roman numeral system.
it was very helpful at the time

the lotus hood line width and subtle headlight difference. it shows up a little better with the blue and pink models. the different base plates makes one of the bumpers stick out a little further

1 - 7 of 7 Posts