Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Cautiously Optimistic
5,016 Posts
Very nice. It's fun to see the Mk 1 with updated livery markings. Can you talk a bit about the finishing techniques used?

·
Premium Member
8,334 Posts
Awesome work. I've seen a couple done in a similar fashion, but none that were done w/the exact same color schemes. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very nice. It's fun to see the Mk 1 with updated livery markings. Can you talk a bit about the finishing techniques used?
I put down a prime coat of Gunship gray then used the salt method for the chipped paint.
The base color is insignia white.
The stripes are painted with insignia red and the canopy is painted with alclad II steel.
I used Winsor & Newton oil color and pastels for the weathering.
The decals came from SSM. With the exception of the decals, this kit is built straight out of the box.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Is that the Viper that was part of the contest at IPMS-Atlanta back in June? As one of the judges, I remember being very impressed with that AND the MkII Viper that was a companion to it.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Nice work.

There is nothing to say that ALL TOS vipers HAVE to be gray with red/orange markings other than the fact that the production used TONS of stock footage during the course of the show.

The fact is, that, like in our contemporary military, craft have different markings and paint jobs for their respective squadrons.

TOS Galactica's post attack airwing consisted of "67 fighters in all, 25 of our own" which viually, would had a whole host different markings from all the different squadrons from each Battlestar.

I love seeing Mk. 1's in different paint jobs.

·
Cautiously Optimistic
5,016 Posts
Thanks for the finishing notes.

I'm getting ready to commence a TOS Viper of my own, and I'd completely forgotten about the old "salt" trick. Great effect, that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts