Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, a year ago I bought a small piece of vinyl chrome to experiment with. I loved the results, a LOT better than my airbrush or a spray can could do, at least in my hands. Now, 12 months later, I can't remember what the name brand was. I checked ebay and my Paypal account, but it must be further back than I thought. Has anyone else used the stretchable chrome sheets? It wasn't EZ Chrome that I used, but that's the closest one I found so far. If anyone's used the EZ Chrome flexible stuff, not the older version, please share. I didn't leave out the other way to chrome because I didn't like burnishing, I left it out because the more contoured the object, the harder that stuff is to use. I would not want to try and use that stuff to copper plate the statue of liberty model..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey guinness,
Have you ever tried the Spaz stix Chrome Paint, i've used it on Lexan RC bodies before and it comes out really cool!

http://www.spazstix.com/mirror-chrome

- attached a picture of one of my cars with the center deck painted with it, I suck at painting but was surprised at how well and easy it went on.

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks great, from what I can see. Nice and even, but, and I say this constructively, it's no comparison to the chrome rims on the car.. I've polished steel to a shine comparable to chrome, but it oxidizes in a day or 2. Granted, it's still shiny, but won't pass for chrome after a few days. This chrome sheet I used was more like a new, heavy cotton T shirt after you warmed it up. I stretched it over a 1/64 50's fire engine's chrome parts, and it looked awesome. I gave it to my Father. He passed away, but the truck is still on display at my Mom's house.. He gave me the truck when I was a kid. I think it was his when he was a kid. At first, he wasn't happy that I stripped it, but after I showed him a color picture of one in a toy museum collection, he was glad to have it. Any way, it's been out on display in a room that gets a lot of sun, and the chrome still looks like real chrome. I may have buffed Johnson's Paste Wax into it, I don't remember. I love that stuff. I used it on my first car. The lower part of the passenger side front quarter panel had a bug land on it. I didn't see it when I was buffing it out. I had part of a bug stuck there under the wax for 4 years. That's how long the water beaded after I used Johnson's on it. This is was before science showed beading was bad. You really had to know it was there to see it, so I left it. I didn't want to strip off the panel, and it didn't show.. Uses for paste wax is a whole nother forum though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.