Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been picking up some of the older Tonka trucks and found another fire truck and when i got it home i noticed it was a bit different then one i had already

Noticed that it has a different rear bed with 2 holes in the sides and a section missing from the plastic

right is the new one and left is the one i had for awhile with out the holes and cut outs in the plastic

also i noticed the base is diffrent the new one doesn't have the Tonka stamp in the metal

top one i have had for awhile has the the stamp and bottom is the one i picked up with out the stamp

im guessing the one i have had for awhile is the late 70's version and the new one i found is the later 80's if any one knows any thing about the 2 please let me know

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Here's a great linc to a Tonka site showing Tonka "Look Books".
They only go to 1975, but I think you'll find they are both close to the same year if not the same year.
Tonka made so many millions of these that I believe they had to have more than one set of molds to make them, and small variations in the molds for many toys are very common.

Hope this helps!
LMX :wave:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks i can also tell that the stickers that were once on the "hole" truck were a bit smaller and a full oval and didn't have a flatter bottom as the "solid" truck

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
another thing i noticed was the grill on the left (has the holes in the bed) the bottom is filled in and the right has full slots

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I love the old tonka and other similar ones from years ago,Buddy L,Nylint,etc.

There is a place by me that has a bunch.All complete,but play worn.

I plan on picking a bunch of them up.

Great stuff!

Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
Vintage Tonka, Nylint & Buddy l.

Hello, New to this site, and i collect everything! Tonka, nylint, buddy L.. Always searching & Buying Parts. If anyone finds anything on the Pickup truck Line, Give me a holler! Thanks.:thumbsup::wave:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts