Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this vintage Opel Diplomat in a trade... It had 1 broken wheel and missing hood... I decided to "Stangfreak" it... Here's the progress so far !!!

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
I like the progress pics. Looking forward to the finished car

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
I'm hoping the car pretty much IS finished, I think it looks wIcKeD like that aside from the bare raw plastic needs paint.

It looks very realistic like that.
Of coures paint the tail lights, headlights and grill, then is about done!

A little history on the Diplomat (if you didn't already know.)
These were base on the U.S. Chevy Chevelle from '64 and '65.

If you notice, the winshield is the same exact shape, all glass exept for maybe the rear widow.
Also the frame, flooring, fire-wall, cowl, ect., etc., they shared most all inner sheet metal.
The engine chioces were similar as well. The 283, 327, and a 6 cyl. The Powerglide was also available.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Here's a pic of a mighty rare 2dr. coachbuilt in Germany by Karman.
Only 347 were built and were pricey. About the cost of 3 VW Beetles.

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A little history on the Diplomat (if you didn't already know.)
These were base on the U.S. Chevy Chevelle from '64 and '65.

If you notice, the winshield is the same exact shape, all glass exept for maybe the rear widow.
Also the frame, flooring, fire-wall, cowl, ect., etc., they shared most all inner sheet metal.
The engine chioces were similar as well. The 283, 327, and a 6 cyl. The Powerglide was also available. Here's a pic of a mighty rare 2dr. coachbuilt in Germany by Karman.
Only 347 were built and were pricey. About the cost of 3 VW Beetles.

That is really cool to know... I really can see the resemblence now !!! Cool !!!

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Wow it does look like a customized Nova
Like I said, it's based on a U.S. Chevelle, not a Nova. :thumbsup:
Believe it or not, in Europe, cars of this size were usually referred to as limosines back then.
Two steps down from a limo for us!

You can realy see it's Chevelle roots in this shot.
This Opel Dimlplomat body style was from '64 to '68

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
And this smaller Opel record (about 2100 llbs, as apposed to 2600-3100 for the Diplomat) is preputed to have a Nove/Chevy II platform. Interesting, Huh?
These wern't concidered limosines, but since they're still large for Euro standards, it's refered to as an executive sedan!!!

Many interesting bodystyles were availabe, like a 2dr. semi-fastback, and even a 2dr. Panel!!!!

Chevy II/Nova;
Here's an easy test that should prove it, the Chevy II dash's basic shape is identical identical the Opel Record. Kinda cool history!

Opel Record;

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It really is amazing to learn about this stuff... There's a few more I always thought looked like something else, but can't think right now !!!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Great photos, great information! Who knew? I've always been fascinated by the Canadian versions of U.S. Chevrolets and Pontiacs, but the Opel variations were completely unknown to me.

Thanks!
Rick V.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts