Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't see any threads about vintage and classics.....
I am an R/C enthusiast and a classic collector. My collection is ok but nothing compared to what some of the fanatical collectors have.
I WILL POST SOME PICTURES.....I WOULD LIKE TO SEE YOUR CLASSICS PIX!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
boy those were the days
I remember when I had a Grasshopper, and my other buddies had a Frog, a Falcon and a Hornet. And we all used to race them on the back alley behind my parents house. Life was so much simpler then. LOL

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, It sure was......

Wow, R/C cars sure have come a long way. I think today's rc dollar is much better spent tan a 1980's dollar...

Not to go into one of those " you think you kids today have it rough....." type rambles, but todays equipment kills in performance, reliability, value etc....

I had a falcon. It was my first "good" R/C car. It ran very well,
after breaking a few chassis I made my own.

TO EVERYONE READING THIS: POST YOUR VINTAGE R/C PICTURE OR STORY.

Y'KNOW, LIKE THE TIME YOU GOT YOUR FIRST CAR, OR YOUR FIRST RACE OR WHATEVER....LONG LIVE THE 80'S!!!! LONG LIVE TAMIYA!!!!!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Wow, I got no '80's stories. The first nonjunkpile real production car I had was a Dynamic sidewinder 1/8 with a Porsche 917 body, Veco .19 and and old Orbit radio. The body is long gone, radio collecting dust, bout 1/2 the chassis still buried somewhere. The old Veco is still runnin':D

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, crazymike, Take a picture and put it up here. i for one have never seen the classic of which you speak....

I just got a line on a barely used wild willy fropm Germany, guy wants $400 CDN.....not sure....:roll:

·
Registered
651 Posts
$400 canadian, not sure what that translates into for US dollars, but, a local shop in Lexington Ohio, had one last year for $125.99, still had shrink wrap on the box

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
I remember when I upgraded from Sanyo 1200SCR's to 1400SCR's so I could run MOD dirt oval with plenty of runtime...:eek:

OH -- anybody else remember the B&R 'Magnum' and 'Bullet' motors? Something like 40+ degrees of timing advance... Smoking hot, and they only "lived" for a few runs before they were shot (but they ruled dirt oval around here!)...

My first real R/C car was a Kyosho Raider -- had a zillion gears in the tranny, and the motor was in front of the tranny and rear wheels. Since the motor sat off to the left side, you had to put the battery (which ran sideways in the chassis) offset to the right to balance the car out...

·
Registered
317 Posts
Tom,I remember the old B&R days!!! :)

I didn't know you were a fellow Raider owner too!!! That was my 1st hobby class R/C!! The one I got was the ARR version. Remember ARR?! Now it's a thing of the past. I used to drive the wheels off my Raider with my box transmitter. My friends back then had a TRaxxas Cat and a Tamiya Hornet. It was fun blasting down the street hitting driveways and curbs!!!

My first race ever was on this old baseball field and 2X4's were used to make a rough oval and a single jump was in the layout. The race was hosted by a small LHS. I raced in the blackfoot class. It was a blast!!! I learned about the bump up system. When I won the blackfoot class, I got bumped up to the open class and I was racing my blackfoot againt the Losi JRX2's!!!! Talk about not being on equal footing!!! I still had fun and still have fun today!

My first pan car was the Traxxas Fiero. Remember when "30 MPH out of the box" was considered fast?? Now we have kits that come out 50+ MPH out of the box!
That Fiero was fun to race. I had to *heavily* mod the chassis and driveline to get it competitive. Later on I ended up getting a Revolver to race 1/12 oval.

Back when I raced 1/12 6 cell stock oval, I was competitive with 1300 mAh Zip packs!!! Ahh.. the good 'ol days!

I have a huge list of what I had back in the "golden age of R/C", too much to list here. One thing that seems hard to find on e-bay are the old MIP RC10 4WD conversions. Remember the trackmaster trannies and the Tekin chassis which let you turn your RC10 into a mid-motor configuration?

JAy

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
I remember those B&R motors well we ran them in paved oval as well,I've got one of the original slot machine's remember those.

·
Registered
651 Posts
man I thought I was the only guy around who started trying to race with the "imports" so to speake. I got the bug while I was serving in the US ARMY, and stationed at Ft. Riley, KS, 1st Inf Div.
And watched a buddy Play with his hopped up hornet "play car" in the parking lot during Lunch.
The Guy answered a lot of my question, alonfg with where thr track was and when they ran races.
I, thinkingh I was smart enough to find a race car, I went to KayBee toys and proceeded to buy an MRC, "roadwinner" RTR, a sport 6 cell pack,and a protech timmed charger.
When I went to my buds house to show him my new, "ride" He covered his eyes and said, "If you take that to the track, I don't know you...OK?"
He then took me in tow to a "real" hobby shop where I bought a Kyosoho, Turbo ultima, (he wa happy racing the origional ultima), and gave the road winner to my then, 3 year old son.
We race withvarrious vehicles in many countries over the years, and still enjoy weekly "oval races at Redfox raceway in Mt Vernon Ohio.
He is 18 now, and has his first full time job, so I'm very thankfull for this wonderfull hobby giving us a common venue to enjoy our spare time together. His mom races with us on occasion, with a T3, in spec truck, or outlaw class.
Very rewarding hobby.
Doug B.
TEAM B.R.C.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Hey oval when were you in the Big Red 1? I was in it in 84-86 out of Stuttgart Germany it was one hell of a unit.

·
Registered
651 Posts
WOW, well hello Brother!
I was there from June 1984, until Sept 1988, and assigned to 4/37 armor BN.in BMO, as forman of the BN welding shop. in 88' I re-enlisted and reclasified to MP, and after completeing the accaademy at Ft. McClellan, I was stationd with the 92 MP company, 93 MP, BDE, in Baulmholder FRG.
And was deployed to Saudi Arabia, desret storm, and attached to 14th MP BDE, out of #rd Armord DIV, GO SPEARHEAD!
Doug B.
Team B.R.C.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Cool! I was in 2/37 Armor started out on the M60A3 then transitioned to the M1 Abrams it was like going from a VW to a Porsche,what a rush nothing can compare to 60MPH in 63 tons of steel capabale of throwing 120MM round 2 miles out,we called it reaching out and touching.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I remeber the transition to the M1, We had M60 A1's I think, like we wen from an old John Wanyne, WWII movie, to the AirWolf TV show.
Once the buggs were worked out, it was awsomwe fighting machine.
I spent the Ground war folowing behind 5/5 cav, and their Bradly's and M1's with the purpose of relieving them of ememy POW's so they could cntinue the fight.
It was awsome to see the Iraqies, firing into the ground as we approach, (we were out of their range). then see an M1, leval it's main gun, and fire, while moving near 35 MPH, and remove the Turret of the Soviet Build T62, Iraqie, tank the EASY way.
Needless to say, and sadly, ( they werwe still soliders, just on the other side of a fight), we didn't get many prisoneers.
We had a Russian Major, ridding along for the purpose of Illetegigaence, (Russians trained the Iraqies, to try and get oil), and to act as an interpretor, who was predicting the fall of the soviet Union while he observd this with us.
The Soviets, estimated it would take us approxamatly 3 months of fighting once we commenced ground opperations.
They had no clue how advanced our equptment was or how well trained we were.
They thought we we like pro sports players, "spoiled, and lazy"
And expected us to suffer Heavy casualties tyhrough out the conflict.
Our BDE, lost 2 soliders, due to stupid pre and post war accidents, none were lost in battle.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
My first R/C car was a used Kyosho Rocky... the 4WD cousin of the Raider. It had the same suspension parts, same rear gearbox with a chain drive to a front gearbox. I was so naive back then. The first race I ever entered was a dirt oval race on a small indoor oval, running against a Custom Works Dominator.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts