Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I won these a week ago, and have looked at literally close to 2,000 photos. I saw 1 trailer, but the guy didn't know what he had either.

and

I almost think these might've been models, but I'm not ready to say either way. They are both 7 1/4 inches long with trailers attached. Any info greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Those are really cool, I like'em!

The red one is a White and the blue one is a Ford...you probably knew that, but as for the diecast brand, my best guess is Tootsie Toy, but I could be wrong.

They don't say anything on the bottom?

You say these might be model kits? I would really doubt that. They're metal, right?

Gerald may know the brand on these.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Not sure,but I think these had something to do with early slot car set.

I mean really early....ho slot cars were originally more of an accessory for model railroads.Racing came a few years later.

I could be wrong.

Mike

·
Registered
95 Posts
These trucks - 1951 White 3000 and 1953 Ford "big job" - are plastic static kits made by Aurora in the late '50's and early '60's. They are accurate 1/64 scale and the multi-peice cabs and chassis build up really well with care despite having poor wheels and tires and no "glass". There was also a low boy trailer hauling a back hoe.

Modelbasher

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Wow, so these ARE kits after all.

The Aurora/slot car connection make these even cooler!

You really have something sorta special, at least an Aurora slot car freak would probably love to have these.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From the first post, yes, these are plastic.. and I wasn't sure if they were poorly put together or if they broke and somebody went nuts with glue. I managed to scrap a bit of glue off of the tires. I'll try a few solvents to see if I can safely get it apart and rebuild it with a bit more care.
I don't know if the trailer is correct, but this should be the truck and steam shovel from the third model. http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/7693043894/in/photostream . I bid $48 and lost. Had I known it was Aurora, I'd have bid more.. Ahh, next time. Anyone interested in the refridgerated trailer by itself, it's up for auction on ebay right now.

Think small-just because it's a model doesn't mean it has to look like one

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Trailer for sale..

Anyone interested in buying the trailer, it's on ebay for $19/Best Offer... Type VINTAGE PLASTIC TRACTOR TRAILER TRUCK CONTAINER LOOK in the searchbar. I doubt more than 1 result will come up. I have a Playcraft or Playart truck around somewhere.. It wasn't a model kit, but the molds from it may have been used to make one of these. Aurora bought the company for their slotcar highway system, which they relabelled Model Motoring...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Aurora 1/48 5000gal Tanker Truck is really 1/64

I found another one of these tanker trucks on ebay, and posted a photo here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/7712442640/in/photostream, along with the Aurora Transporter with Shovel here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/7693043894/in/photostream/ . If anyone is into resin casting, maybe we can do a limited run on this tanker kit. Somebody named Wolf did a limited run of these, I think back in the 80's, and they flew out like hotcakes. With a bit of luck, we'd make enough to buy the transporter with shovel kit and do a run on those too. Anyone who's familiar with resins and interested, let me know.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Sweet tanker trailer with the decals!!!

You should pose the question on the Customizing board. More likely to get to the right people. :wave:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Early slotcars were huge, 1/32 and 1/24. HO came out in the late '50's or early 60's by a company called Playcraft. Aurora bought the roadway/highway system from them for the track system more than anything else. Playcraft slotcars are extremely expensive so I've never seen one of their chassis. The Aurora Vibrators are an interesting thing to watch and run. Sooo slow by today's standards. Marx, and Atlas quickly followed. I don't know if any arrangements were made, but I'm glad they all decided to be compatable. Had they all decided to use a different power delivery system, HO slots may have fizzled out in the early 60's. If I had to guess, I'd say one of these 3 or Faller was the first to come out with the RR X-ing, bringing the 2 together. Unfortunately, "HO" slot cars are quite a bit bigger than 1/87. Maybe close to 1/72 for Tjet size, and about 1/68 for the larger AFX chassis. I've been working on and off for a few years trying to make an S scale/HO slotcar RR X-ing. Until then, I'll have to be content with a backround highway system.. The big issues are that slots use DC, and the train uses AC, and never the 2 shall meet. The other issue is the size of the rails is twice that of HO RR tracks, so the cars need to jump them without launching off the track.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts