Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are the Vincent tires to race on? Im looking to do a concours type mail in race some time after I get my timing system up, Ive used 3Rs tires and rims and the seem to be a bit tall and sticky and Ive used the silicon T-Jet tires those seem to work until the tire starts to slid off the rim. Any input or interest would be great thanks.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Be careful!!!

The rubber rubbish Vincent rims are usually delivered with are EATING TRACK (and every other plastic)!!!

They´re out of round and don´t have good grip even fresh out of the bag, but I used them for a while as front tires (after grinding). When I pulled those cars off their parking lot (Tyco straights on my trackside shelves) after a couple of months they had destroyed the track pieces (deep imprints)!

The tires I had removed and stored in one of my parts bins left funny markings inside that box, as the tires are obviously spreading LOTS of softener!

The one and only cure and really satisfying solution is the use of silicones. Weird Jack does really nice ones for 3 mm wide rims (O.K. they tend to get loose over time, but a drop of CA superglue will work in combination with primer coating of the tires inner surface) and RRR silicones aren´t that bad either (but available in limited sizes.

Here in Germany some guys (like myself) are doing various silicones for all T-Jet size Vincents (from 2-5 mm width)...

Greetings from the other side of the pond,

Claus

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the heads up looks like I wont order the tire and rim combo. I wouldve thought with the quality rims he makes the tires would be good too.

·
Premium Member
3,558 Posts
Time for a Mug Shot.....

... so we can watch out for them. What do they look like????... I'm not sure I've ever seen these... but I do have some tires that fit Vincent fronts. No clue on the brand though. Cany anyone put up a pic or two or three of these track eating devils??? Is it happening on all sizes??? Last I heard the Tyco tires were the ones doing this. :confused: nd

·
LED Burner Outer
11,710 Posts
I believe I have a set or two of the offending tires here. They are porous looking like the Mattel track eaters, while the non eating tires are more sili looking.

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
RRR Tires fit nicely on Vincent front rims, I use PVT tires for the rears, sometimes I'll use AW rear tires as well

·
Premium Member
2,412 Posts
... so we can watch out for them. What do they look like????... I'm not sure I've ever seen these... but I do have some tires that fit Vincent fronts. No clue on the brand though. Cany anyone put up a pic or two or three of these track eating devils??? Is it happening on all sizes??? Last I heard the Tyco tires were the ones doing this. :confused: nd
Here are the Vincent tires. Left to right they are sizes 2.1, 3.2 , 4.0 mm tires.
They have a rubbery feel to them not like silicone at all. They do have a nice rounded edge on the one side.

MEV makes a nice silicone for the 3.1 size.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
78 Posts
how do you keep them on? what adhesive to recommend?

Here are the Vincent tires. Left to right they are sizes 2.1, 3.2 , 4.0 mm tires.
They have a rubbery feel to them not like silicone at all. They do have a nice rounded edge on the one side.

MEV makes a nice silicone for the 3.1 size.

Hope this helps.
The tires in the A size have a hard time staying on the rim. So like a good t-jetter, I super glued them to the rims. This did not help. now the drops of glue made it feel as though the tires are out of round. Granted, it had been about 7 months since I've been able to run slots due to the new baby.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a tire replacement for the A size? Does the Weird jacks fit? Help? What about a glue recommendation?

Tony in San Diego

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
If I absolutely HAVE to...even though I try to absolutely avoid it...

I use black...yeah you guessed it .... RTV silicone. Really a no brainer when I eventually thought about it.

Pretty simple: Make sure the tires are clean of mold release, oil, or any other thing that may have been schlobbered on them. Now do the same for the rim AND scuff the area where the rim meets the wheel. A folded snip of sand paper works good use your thumb to spin the other side wheel and hold the paper into the joint.

I use a toothpick to grab a small dot of RTV from the end of the tube. Touch the RTV end just ahead of the rim/wheel joint and use the off side wheel again to draw a small strand of RTV around the rim. Then just push the tire on evenly. If it spoots out the back you used too much!

Works pretty good around here. The tires can be picked off later if needed, and residual particles clean off easily.

So that was my old way of fixing "flaw-bo" tires. I approach things differently now. For a good snug fit on a larger diameter (as far as .250" and beyond) narrow rimmed application, I stretch a PVT T-jet tire onto the rim. Guys whine and gripe (I'm one of them) cuz they wont stay on a t-jet rim fer bubkus....and they dont! LOL! However they do stretch to fit many larger sized rims are easily ground to size or trued. They will never fall off by them selves.

Problem is once you put them on...

you'll more than likely want them on all your cars.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts