Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
I am going to try to find some kind of canvas type of cloth for mine...off white in color. This should look much better than a vinyl sail!

MMM

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Right now I'm just in the idea stages with the sail cloth idea. I planned to look around for a really light cloth which would look like a sail on a ship model of the Viking Ship's scale.

Some of the material used in women's shirts these days might do the trick. I'll lop a piece off one of the wife's blouses and let you know how I make out. ;)

Huzz

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Dave Hussey said:
Some of the material used in women's shirts these days might do the trick. I'll lop a piece off one of the wife's blouses and let you know how I make out. ;)

Huzz
Never mind if it works, just let us know if she lets you live!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Jeff,

I found an Aurora one at a garage sale today!!!! From the mail club, still in the bag inside the white cardboard box. Looking through the bag, I can see sinkholes in every crewman. Reddish/orange striped vinyl sail. Same decals Huzz scanned though the register is slightly better. Couldn't find the Smer locally so I'll settle for this one.

Al

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Actually, that's true. The viking figures on The Aurora I had as a kid and the one I bought a few years ago (and later sold) had sinkholes in their bellies as well. At least some of them did.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yep, I remember that. Don't know if they were this bad, though. Ya know those stories about how some problems with molds get worse over time, or through lazy casting? Like the holes for the footstones on Frankenstein? Some of these guys are opened up like theye've been gutted for autopsy. Were they that bad before? :lol:

How about the scales on the dragon head and the detail on the wing of the left dragon on the base - how do those look? Seriously? Maybe memory has made the Aurora crisper than I thought it was?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
The scales on the figurehead stop at the base of the skull, but they are fairly crisp and uniform on the entire neck. There is a sinkhole in each ear. The stand doesn't have a blob on the left wing, but there is no cross-hatching to be seen. I just test fitted the hull halves togather and it fits better than I remember. In fact the entire kit is better detailed than I remember (they say the memory is the second thing to go). I may move this into the "to-do" pile rather than ye olde kitt closett.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hmmm, someday I'll have to get an original off e-bay and compare them.

It's a cool little kit, innit? Simple, but charismatic. Everybody who has this should build them en masse and post them -- a fleet of invading Vikings!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts