Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the old Aurora Viking ship decals they could scan for me? I don't particularly need the decals themselves, I can paint them by hand if I could see them.

And did I read once that Aurora changed them between releases? I had the Seventies release that came in the mail from the modeling club. There was a serpent or snake decal for the sail.

I'm about to finally build the reissue from Smer, which has different decals and some of them are damaged anayway. I'd like to recreate the originals from Aurora.

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
...or just a decent, clear pic of the built ship with the Aurora decals, emphasis on a clear shot of the serpent on the sail.

There are two Auroras on the bidding place, one goes in about two hours. I see the original issue had a bird of prey on the sail. The issue I had (and hope for a scan of) was a dragon.

The Smer definitely was poorly cast, needs some cleanup. Still ought to look nice when done.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I have an un-built one at home. With decals! I'll be happy to scan them for you, hopefully tonight or in the next couple of days.

When I do build this kit, I may try to print the sail decal on some very light cloth material to make it look more like a real sail. Can you do that with a PC printer?

Huzz

·
Registered
404 Posts
Dave Hussey said:
I have an un-built one at home. With decals! I'll be happy to scan them for you, hopefully tonight or in the next couple of days.

When I do build this kit, I may try to print the sail decal on some very light cloth material to make it look more like a real sail. Can you do that with a PC printer?

Huzz
Yessir, you can get t-shirt transfer paper for inkjet and laser anywhere that sells office supplies (even Wally World).

Scottie

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Excellent!

So all anyone needs is a decent quality scan. Print it on the t-shirt transfer paper, then transfer to the right type of cloth. I am thinking a very fine, light cloth to approximate the correct scale. And perhaps a light tan / sand color to look like its been used a bit.

Dreamer - how many dots per inch do you want me to scan at? I think 150 is generally okay but I can scan at higher resolution if you like.

Huzz

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Huzz,
Can you also e-mail me a copy of Viking decals scan? I'd like to try this out with iron-on transfers....using a piece of tan colored cloth!
I have that SMER kit also....it can use some help.
Thx,
MMM

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Huzz, that's great!! Any size resolution will do, I can take higher. Figure I'm going to hand paint instead of home decals, unless I try the same thing with the cloth (grerat idea!).

Yeah, the Smer was poorly cast. The scales on the dragon head are all messed up - looks like somebody tried to redo them at some point. The base with the bas-relief dragons has a big blob on one of the dragon wings - I can clean that up but there's no way to resculpt the missing detail on the wing (notice the thing looks like a woodcut illustration with all that crosshatching?). And the crew...they've all got gaping hollow sinkholes in their guts - it's the Viking saga as told by George Romero with a cast of cadavers!

I was going to paint it like I did as a kid, with the dragon all done in green and red, but I've been looking at pics on the net...looks like all wood colors with some coloration. I've got a book on Viking ships on order from the library, hopefully something in there will help.

That base, I'm going to use it for nostalgia, always liked the base, but this would be a great subject for those guys who do water dios with EZ Water or similar stuff.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Dreamer and MMM - I just emailed the scans to my work where I have a high-speed conection. Only dial-up at home which is BRUTALLY slow for stuff like this. Send me an email in the morning with your direct email address, not the pseudo address that Hobbytalk provides. That way I can attach the files properly - I don't know if the HobbyTalk email system allows easy file attachments.

Happy Viking-ing!!:thumbsup:
Huzz

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Huzz,

Received the scans...now to get some of that T-shirt transfer paper...what an excellent idea!

Thanks a bunch!

MMM

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Is it possible for one of you to simply post a pic so the rest of us who don't have the kit but, are still interested can see it?

- GJS

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Huzz, I got the scans and the pics - thank you!! That's great, and brings back memories...

What kind of cloth did you intend to use for the sail?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts