Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been on vacation the past few days and the girlfriend decided that it was time for me to get out of the house and away from work, work as a Maintenance Supervisor/Asst. Property Manager for a apartment complex and we live where I work at.

We ended up at a Goodwill store on the southwest side of Las Vegas and the girlfriend found this for me. She knows that I have been wanting to add a Fire Helmet to my collection of Firefighting die-cast and patches.

The helmet is metal with a few dents and dings. The original chin (??????) I think is still in place. As you can see there are two different Front pieces which are both leather. I think that this is more of a parade piece than in service helmet.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As I was walking through the store I spotted this one and thought to myself "no f$%*&&g way. Two of them". I looked at it and it was the same department just an officers helmet. Needless to say they both found good homes with me. And both are being proudly displayed above my desk.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would it be possible to research who they belonged too from the info on the badges ? im sure that would be interesting .

I am working on that. I belong to a fire buff forum and have put a few feelers out. I am also working on seeing if I can find the department they came from. It will be something that I let everybody know.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hi again im looking forward to the info you find , so you collect fire engines ,sorry fire trucks in american ,i have a large marx c cab fire truck battery powerd have you any info on it ,i will find some pictures ,there i had it on the bay but postage is too much for buyers ,bye look forward to the history of your helmets .:wave:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi again im looking forward to the info you find , so you collect fire engines ,sorry fire trucks in american ,i have a large marx c cab fire truck battery powerd have you any info on it ,i will find some pictures ,there i had it on the bay but postage is too much for buyers ,bye look forward to the history of your helmets .:wave:

I don't have any on it but post it on the Die Cast side, there are a lot of very knowledgeable guys over there that might be able to tell you about it.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update on the Helmets

I just found out that the black helmet is a Cairns metal helmet. And it is from the 1940's and those helmets did not come with the Eagles on them that we are use to seeing on metal and leather helmets. So I really did hit something very special in these finds.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hello again are the eagles the badges ? and the metal helmet may of been a parade one ? any way im very interested ,i used to collect militaria this fire stuff must have loads of collectors too ,bye .mark.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hi just googled i now know what the eagle was and were ,have you any loose eagles too show ? im going to find one over here somewhere ,i once came across an all brass british helmet in a militaria shop ,wish i bought it now ahh ,bye .mark.

·
Registered
159 Posts
My Father was a fireman from about 1965 to 1995. Loads and loads of firefighter stuff, including cases of fire safety manuals and literature. He passed away a few years ago. We tried to give his collection to a local firefighting museum, and they declined. We're keeping some stuff, but most really needs to go to a good home. If anyone is near Buffalo NY and is interested, let me know. just type "Fire" in the subject line of the message.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello again are the eagles the badges ? and the metal helmet may of been a parade one ? any way im very interested ,i used to collect militaria this fire stuff must have loads of collectors too ,bye .mark.
The eagles are part of both metal and leather firefighting helmets. It could have been but for years metal and leather helmets we the only head gear for firefighters. A lot of departments today are getting back to them. My former department has started using them. Firefighter and fire department collector and collections are very popular. For me it is part of my life and history and my father's history.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My Father was a fireman from about 1965 to 1995. Loads and loads of firefighter stuff, including cases of fire safety manuals and literature. He passed away a few years ago. We tried to give his collection to a local firefighting museum, and they declined. We're keeping some stuff, but most really needs to go to a good home. If anyone is near Buffalo NY and is interested, let me know. just type "Fire" in the subject line of the message.

pm sent to you and your father was a hero he was part of the war years. For those that do not know what the war years are they are a period of time in the United States where firefighters saw more fire in one or two years than todays firefighters see in a life time.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hello thanks for the info i always thought the united states were safe during the second world war ,we had the blitz down in london ,i live in fleetwood not far from liverpool ,my nan told me about air raids over port areas ,like liverpool even little old fleetwood ,well thanks again ,hey i hope you rehome that ny stuff and show us bits bye .mark.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello thanks for the info i always thought the united states were safe during the second world war ,we had the blitz down in london ,i live in fleetwood not far from liverpool ,my nan told me about air raids over port areas ,like liverpool even little old fleetwood ,well thanks again ,hey i hope you rehome that ny stuff and show us bits bye .mark.

the us was safe from bombing but a lot of items such as rubber, metal, etc was rationed. That's why some of the things like the brass eagles were not used during WWII

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
Pittsburgh helmets in Las Vegas, those were meant just for you Dave! Do you have any of your own fire equipment left from your days with the department?

"The war years", I assume they got their name partly from all the civil unrest after '65?

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Leather Fire Helmet Found at Broadachers Swap Meat

The weekend the girlfriend and I went to the Swap Meet, our favorite one is Broadachers here in Las Vegas. I spooted this from four stalls away and just about ran to it.

It is a leather helmet made by Cairns and Brothers Inc out of New Jersey. It is the first truly Leather Helmet that I have found.

The guy that was selling it told me that he had paid a hundred dollars for it from a friend of his and that he did not have any papers to show that it was real. I just had to look on the inside to know that it was real.

When I looked on the inside of the Helmet this was all that I needed to see to know that this was the real thing.

The funny thing is that I would have given the guy a hundred dollars for the helmet, I have seen them on line for five to eight hundred dollars, and he wanted 25 dollars and I offered him 20 dollars and he took it. To me this was the best deal of the day. I also saw two other fire helmets at the meat and passed on both although I do plan on going back next week and seeing if I can get one of the two. The guy had a full set of bunker gear, helmet, coat, bunker pants, and boots and he wanted 60 for the group and all I wanted was the helmet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts