Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I new here. So hello to all! :wave:

Second, I'm moderatly technically inclined, but I haven't done much with small engines.

For a project of mine I've been trying to locate a 2 cycle engine to use. A friend told me I would need a horizontal shaft as opposed to a vertical shaft for my particular application. Now this makes sense, except for one thing... why does it make a difference on a 2-cycle engine? Can't you just turn the engine so that the shaft is the direction you need? I figured this would only be a problem with a 4 cycle, since the oil needs to drain a certain direction so that it may be picked up and filtered and pumped again.

So if someone would set me straight on this, I would appreciate it!

Thanks,

Nic

·
Registered
272 Posts
On a 2 cylces it would depend on carburetor type. A float caburetor will only work in one postion. A diaphragh carburetor will work in any postion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, yeah, that makes sense. I wasn't really thinking about the carburetor orientation. I'm used to car engines.

Thanks for that info!

·
Registered
750 Posts
really? well thanks for the info tommy ! i learned new tnig today, thanks alot! im gonna tilt my engine sideways today.. .for the fun of it =P =) :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts