1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings.
I am currently working on the prep work of two Masudaya
Veneer 16 inch talking robots.
One of them being the Masudaya Lost in space YM3 Robot & The other the 16 inch talking Robby the robot.
I understand that to get the vinyl parts of both robots to accept the finished top coat of paint, That i should be using some brand of Acrylic primer first.
Keep in mind that i do not have access to air brush equiptment, So am planning on using primer & Paint via rattle can spray.
ok, So the question is, Can any one recomend A quality brand of Acrylic based spray can primer to use on both models?
Unfortunately i don't have access to any local hobby shops, And most other outlets such as the automotive & Hardware stores no longer have any employees with knowledge on paints.:rolleyes:
I have a feeling that without the proper prep work done to these kits, The final top coat will never dry & Will remain tacky?
Any help is always appreciated. Cheers! Mark.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
861 Posts
Actually you can use lacquer primer on vinyl. Just make sure it's actually lacquer primer (xylene, acetone). Some that say they are, aren't. Rustoleum Auto primer works great.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies!
I plan on using Tamiya spray paint in the rattle can for the final coat.
And i believe Tamiya spray paint is Lacquer.
I just wanted to make sure that the primer and paint are compatible, And won't cause a reaction between the two.
So it sounds like i could use Rustolium primer, Or Tamiya Primer..
And a top coat of Tamiya Spray to finish the kits up with then?
And by the way..Chrisisall, Your prep & detailing work on that Ym3 is brilliant!:thumbsup:
It looks like you are going the extra mile and plan on lighting the model?

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Tamiya sprays are a lacquer and are safe on Tamiya primer. Tamiya spray will crinkle up a bit on Krylon primer, which is an enamel I guess.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I built and painted both those robots. I would recommend going to the auto parts shop, like autozone or pep boys, and simply pick up a spray can of vinyl primer, or any flat color vinyl paint, as a primer. That seals it and its fine to use any paint on it after that.

Z

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for all the recommendations guys!:thumbsup:
I will be checking out some local auto supply stores tomorrow.
And Zathros, I will check around for that Vinyl primer that you mentioned.

That sounds like a good alternative to sealing these kits for painting.
I still will be going with the Tamiya spray paints for detailing however.

And i agree, Please feel free to post some pics of your completed Masudaya's if possible.
Thanks, And will post my results very soon.:wave:

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've done a few vinyl kits including the Masudaya YM-3 and I just use plain Duplicolor primer from the auto parts store. I don't mean the vinyl primer (I've never seen that locally but I haven't looked for it). The regular car body primer has always worked for me.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, I had a chance to stop by my local auto store & Found some gray vinyl primer and both robots are primed and even though both were dry to the touch within about 15 minutes.. I am letting them cure up for about 24 hours before handling the parts.

The primer brought out a few imperfections mainly in the YM3's tread sections.
By that, I mean the sides of his tread section have a few scuffs and scratches..
Probably there from the factory.

I'll wait until the parts have completly dried, Then will fill in any imperfections on both robots with some putty and touch up again with the primer as needed.

Wish i could post some pictures, But right now my only camera isn't working.:eek:
But will continue to post my progress & Maby by the time i get close to finishing, I can get a few photos up over here.
Cheers!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Greetings!
Just a quick update, Yesterday with the weather being so nice i was able to apply the Tamiya gun metal spray to the Robby figure.

I just checked on it, And the finish turned out first class.:thumbsup:
The paint dried to a very nice smooth metallic finish with no tackyness or adverse reaction to the primer, And i am very happy with the results.

I'm letting the model sit for a few more days before i brush in the little details on him, And he will be finished,And i can begin work on the YM3.

It's too bad that both the YM3 & Robby models suffer from yellowing of the clear parts though, And i have never seen these built ups without a little yellowing which is maby from sunlight & Aging?

Wish i could shoot some in progress pics to post over here, But unable to at the present.
Maby i can eventually post some completed pics though.

Thanks for every ones suggestions, And Thanks Zathros, For turning me on to that vinyl paint! It worked great on these figures, And i know that my fave spray paint is compatible with it.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Greetings!
Just a quick update, Yesterday with the weather being so nice i was able to apply the Tamiya gun metal spray to the Robby figure.

I just checked on it, And the finish turned out first class.:thumbsup:
The paint dried to a very nice smooth metallic finish with no tackyness or adverse reaction to the primer, And i am very happy with the results.

I'm letting the model sit for a few more days before i brush in the little details on him, And he will be finished,And i can begin work on the YM3.

It's too bad that both the YM3 & Robby models suffer from yellowing of the clear parts though, And i have never seen these built ups without a little yellowing which is maby from sunlight & Aging?

Wish i could shoot some in progress pics to post over here, But unable to at the present.
Maby i can eventually post some completed pics though.

Thanks for every ones suggestions, And Thanks Zathros, For turning me on to that vinyl paint! It worked great on these figures, And i know that my fave spray paint is compatible with it.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

My pleasure..I'm glad it worked out for you:thumbsup:. I knew it would.

Z

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
The clear parts turn yellow because of the material used and its not reversible. You might try sitting them in the bright sun, but I can pretty much guarantee that won't do anything. This is a real common problem with vacuuform clear parts too. If you are interested there are a ton of discussions on yellowed clear plastic on Hyperscale.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts