Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some of you have heard the rumors and some have not. But it is true and a tire test was conducted at the Home Depot Center indoor wood surfaced velodrome...yes I said wood!! This indoor velodrome is located near the site of the old Dominguez Hills Velodrome, which was the former home of Thunderdrome and Winterfest events. The new velodrome is surfaced with Siberian Pine, has a max of 45 degrees of banking and the run line is 250 meters.

Two cars hit the track, 13.5 1S car was piloted by Team KSG/Team Novak/John's BSR Racing Tires Gary Hamilton and 17.5 1S car by Matt Artin, NORRCA Paved Oval Nationals Champion-Expert Stock. Thanks to support from BSR, the cars were dialed in and the track was smooth and lightning fast.

Next steps...looking to gauge the interest level on turnout for a TBD Race Date. The track is excited to host this event at a first class facility where the US Olympic bike team trains. Looking for 60 entries at a minimum to cover track rental and power fees. $40 first class, $25 second class.

Tell your friends to dust off their old velo cars and oval racers from around the country are welcome!

Current planned classes are:

- Spec Truck 17.5 1S Blinky
- 17.1 1S Car (open motor/timing)
- 13.5 1S Car (open motor/timing)

Pics from the test and track attached. PM with questions and continue to visit this thread for updates.

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
He posted run line @ 250meters = 820ft. I know it's a lil shorter than Encino but can't remember Encinos run line, I'm fairly sure it was over 900ft. anyone have that run line?
Buck

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
its cool its coming back never tryed it, don't live near any tracks of that type.
but read about then in the old RCCA magz. i had.
on tracks that big how long are the heats, how many laps?

does any one still have the long races with pit stops for electic cars still?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Buck is correct, the run line at Home Depot Center Velo is 820'. During the test we ran both 4 min and 5 min runs using IFMAR starts. There was not a huge drop in lap times running 5 minutes as the Velo is indoors and climate controlled. That said, the motor temps were around 135-143 degrees coming off the track at the 5 min mark.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some other planned news and notes about the race:

Because of the Velo's typical Saturday bike racing program, looking at opening the track and 1pm and running a proposed schedule as follows:

- Track opens at 1pm -- Immediate driver's meeting to discuss rules*
* Chassis and body heights will be strictly enforced so we do not damage the wood surface

- 1:15p-1:30p Spec Truck Controlled Practice

- 1:30p-1:45p 17.5 1S Car Controlled Practice

- 1:45p-2:00p 13.5 1S Car Controlled Practice

- 2:00p-2:15p Spec Truck Controlled Practice

- 2:15p-2:30p 17.5 1S Car Controlled Practice

- 2:30p-2:45p 13.5 1S Car Controlled Practice

- 2:45p-3:00p Spec Truck Controlled Practice

- 3:00p-3:15p 17.5 1S Car Controlled Practice

- 3:15p-3:30p 13.5 1S Car Controlled Practice

- 3:30pm Track is Closed to set up heats

- 4:00pm 1st Heat race on the track

- Looking to be done with mains by 8pm

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Yes, all classes will be running cap tires from BSR. As for compounds, front will be using pinks and reds in the rear. All tires are nets. The old silver nets will not work in any class as there is not enough heat build up to make them stick to the wood. BSR is working on some revisions to what was tested, so nothing available yet to purchase.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Any chance of a 2 cell class or will it all be 1 cell? Are the pinks and reds going to be spec or can we use whatever works for us? I have always wanted to run there, even sent an email to Tony Stewart back when he was sponsored by Depot to see if he could pull some strings. Either way should be a blast!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We may look at a 2 cell class as it will help with the turnout. The track is super fast in both 13.5 and 17.5. 10.5 2 cell may be on the edge, but as more details wrap up, we'll finalize the classes.

Yes the tires will be a spec tire. They work for all classes and believe it or not, showed no signs of any wear after multiple runs. As the race nears, we will let you know where and when the tires will be available.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Is there going to be some kind of deal on these tires? I hate to buy tires I already have in my box. 2 cell 21.5 should be fast enough, 10.5 2 cell would be the SFM class that a few people ran at Encino.

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
As an outsider who will never get to see this beauty (looks awesome), forgive me when I ask "with 800 ft. + of runline, why don't the classes start at 10.5 and go down?"

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wanting to bring everyone up to speed as to where we have netted out in the last week or so. Have been receiving a large amount of interest for the race...but the interest levels are split into two groups. On one side people want to race the track no matter the cost and others want to use their existing velo tires and not spend $70-$80 on a new set specifically made to hook up on wood. So looking to schedule another test date in the near future focussing on different set up measures that may help stabilize the cars such as mounting the wing to the pod and or using an MD or HD body to provide more bite on the wood surface using the exisiting tires as well as testing other compounds.

The overall consensus is that this surface and velo is unlike any other track raced on by paved oval pan cars and will require out of the box tactics to make the cars work. Ultimately, we want to provide a base line final setup in the most cost-effective manner so that everyone can be dialed in out the gate and have a great time.

Stay tuned for more updates...

·
Registered
827 Posts
Just a little history/humor at velodromes, specifically the RC Thunderdrome in the late 80s...

Capped tires didn't exist in 1987 for the first Thunderdrome race, so in order to take away front bite we all mounted sliced radiator hose on Pan Car front wheels. Hard as a rock....but worked great!!!! LOl

Some were having radio issues due to the distance, and not so wonderful radio technology in the 80s....so one enterprising racer strapped a 10 foot antenna to his belt connected to his radio. He became known as the "Human Antenna"

Should be no problem to work things out with today's technology. Hope it all gets figured out. You can't get much cooler than an indoor velodrome.

Gary McAllister

1 - 20 of 41 Posts