Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you have heard the rumors and some have not. But it is true and a tire test was conducted at the Home Depot Center indoor wood surfaced velodrome...yes I said wood!! This indoor velodrome is located near the site of the old Dominguez Hills Velodrome, which was the former home of Thunderdrome and Winterfest events. The new velodrome is surfaced with Siberian Pine, has a max of 45 degrees of banking and the run line is 250 meters.

Two cars hit the track, 13.5 1S car was piloted by Team KSG/Team Novak/John's BSR Racing Tires Gary Hamilton and 17.5 1S car by Matt Artin, NORRCA Paved Oval Nationals Champion-Expert Stock. Thanks to support from BSR, the cars were dialed in and the track was smooth and lightning fast.

Next steps...looking to gauge the interest level on turnout for a race on Sept 15th at the soonest. The track is excited to host this event at a first class facility where the US Olympic bike team trains. Looking for 60 entries at a minimum to cover track rental and power fees. $40 first class, $25 second class.

Tell your friends to dust off their old velo cars and oval racers from around the country are welcome!

Current planned classes are:

- Spec Truck 17.5 1S Blinky
- 17.1 1S Car (open motor/timing)
- 13.5 1S Car (open motor/timing)

Pics from the test and track attached. PM with questions and continue to visit this thread for updates.

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
Gary,

I am like I would believe others are interested. But a couple of questions, what tires would need to run there and would they be available before or at the track. For pitting, would we need to bring tables, chairs, lights, power cord and so on..fill me in. Also would the classes listed be the only ones we can run. If the 10.5 2s or say, 17.5 or 13.5 2s guys showed could we run if enough showed to make a class?

Don

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just heard about the possibility of going back to a VELODROME, AWESOME!!!!! What kind of times were you guys running? What about tires, I wouldn't think the EHW's would work on wood. Keep us posted, would really like to see this happen.

Kevin K

1 - 3 of 3 Posts