Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever raced on a indoor velo with a wood surface i want to know what tires to use the track is about 880 feet long.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
WOW wood surface ,,,,, I have ran silicone wrapped tires on wood before ....with great success but at the velo speed I do not know if that would work SRM

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Yeah But eh silicone has a different bite to it .....On the tracks we raced at is was 4-5 laps faster ...they were 100ft tracks but faster is faster ....SRM

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah well we can try and see what happens and go from there thanks for the info.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Mato,

What type of cars are they running on this Velo?

Pan/Oval type cars or Full Chassis Touring Cars?

I would try some of John's BSR "VELO" tires, they are what is being used on the concrete velo's, but it looks like the indoor track is using a slick surface so they may need to be heated up.

If you're running touring cars see if BSR can put their velo tire set up on a touring wheel.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah it's made for cycling
So far they only tested on the track with T.C.'s and the f103 chassis from tamiya, they start running for real in september and we are going to race with pan/ovalcars.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
LOOK sweet ,How is the grip for the tires ...Do they get hot during a run ...Maybe abel to get you the right tires in radial form ...

SRM

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I learned to race on wood floors, silicone worked great but were hard to make, and peeled easily. At velo speeds I dont know how they would fare. We used to run offroad pin spike tires on our pan cars with 12 turn motors on a 300 foot track and they worked great. As the pins wear they get better but rubber slicks wont work because of the thin coat of dust on the track. Todays compounds must be a lot better also.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I didn't run there yet so i don't know about the tires temp
The people that tested did it with T.C. slicks and they say that they had good grip i just have to wait and see
I'm going to try the softest B.S.R. caps and some other guys are going to prepare some foams with silicone

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Yes Johns BSR rqadials are the way to go .....John has made all the cap tire guys very happy with his product ....Hes a very hard working guy and if anyojne can find the tires that work for you It will be John ...

SRM

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well we ran on the velo yesterday with different compounds
Foams don't work at all so we put on some caps the hardercaps (blue and up)
started out good but lost grip during the run on inspecting it turn out they were getting a shiny surface like being polished so we went softer (red,green) they work a bit better only after 2 runs they were getting shiny too the tires don't seem too wear.
Any thought's on this?

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Mato after you run take your tires and put them on a tire truer and run a 3M pad over the tire to get rid of the used rubber that has built up ..You should be able to go back out and have great runs ...then after the run do it again ...the tires will last a long time .....Sounds like a ton of fun ..maybe you could post pictures or video of the runs .....SRM

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Mato

What I think is that you guys are picking up any polish or treatment that they use on the wood serfice. You will not see hardly any ware at all there is not enough side bite on the type of track. It also sounds like you're going to have to clean the tire after every run, WD-40 will open up the poors in the runbber and also clean up the tire (get rid of any residue build up). Just spray some into a clean rag and wipe off your tires. The 3m stuff like Steve is talking about might be a little bit much to try first but it might be what works. I hope this idea helps you out.

-Monti-

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Video and pictures are coming as soon as i have them i will try to post them.
Isn't WD40 only used for foamtires you use it on caps as well?
Do you guys run pod or body mounted wings on a velo?
It's a very smooth track with no bumps so would it be wise to go stiffer in springs and thicker oil

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Mato I run the wing on the body but you guys might have to run it on the pod instead to get bite. I would also try to run softer springs and oil at first to plant the car more since you are having traction issues. On a normal velo track I run 80 wt in the center and 60 wt on the sides with red spings and blue assoc sping in the center.

WD-40 is used on cap tires I have not heard of it used on foams.

-Monti-

1 - 20 of 30 Posts