Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
26,546 Posts
That is a pretty wide spread of color between the 4. The green one's rear quarter panel tampo doesnt seem to match up with the other tampo designs though. Does it also have a metal base?

·
BANNED
7,904 Posts
MFR, do tell please.
the only thing I can see appears to be some wear on the one without the tampo on the rear right fender.
please educate me.
and, are those plastic bodies?

·
Administrator
26,546 Posts
The first thing you need to notice is that the placement of individual cars is changed in nearly each photograph. Only the two overhead shots have the same placement order. There is a 'green' one, two 'torqious' and a 'blue' one by color tones on my monitor. Also notice that the rear portion of the rear fender line on two of them are a different shape. Then watch where they end up in each photo.

@alpink - when you say the tampo on the green right rear fender is missing you are referencing only the HW's logo right?

@57hotbox - yes on the green one along with the missing HWs logo; the pin striping on the upper side panels and door and on the roof panel are worn away (or removed). The upper portion of the intake (tiips) are also painted (or worn away to black.) The engine is also either metal or painted and not chrome like the others. If you would line them up side by side and show us front and back photo images of them - so that all cars are in the same depth of field (focus) range the engine details may be more evident.

Subtle body design changes occur in almost all long time production castings over time. An older mold could have been used for later production or replaced a new one that broke for instance. Most people know about the Camaro body changes and details. And if you follow any of the Corvette models they have them as well .

I havent studied the '57 in depth before so there may also be additional design variations between them. Just looking at the images in Fandom the body design looks to have changed around 1995 to 1996. All of these shown in the photos represent the 2000 mainline casting design though. There is also a similar rear fender tampo design for the different body fender line used on a previous casting in 1999 that better matches that shape. I cant recall seeing a tampo design change that different used on another casting before though. But since they are within one year of production to each other it seems plausible.

My question about the metal base on the green one still stands. As a 2000 model they should all be a plastic chromed base. From the different photos both the base and the motor look to be metal but only the OP can tell us for sure.

So depending on how you want to view each difference noted above - one (green) has obviously been modified from original, the bodies have both tampo and design variations, one of them may have a metal base and/or engine and the play wear could have been deliberate - which could be considered tampering. I would call it detailing or customized.

·
Administrator
26,546 Posts
As to the bodies being plastic - as a 2000 casting - they should be but only the OP can verify for us.

Again looking at Fandom images only - around 1990 plastic bodies were introduced for this casting. But as with other model lines - metal bodies still show up (usually in the premium/club issues) after that date.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The first thing you need to notice is that the placement of individual cars is changed in nearly each photograph. Only the two overhead shots have the same placement order. There is a 'green' one, two 'torqious' and a 'blue' one by color tones on my monitor. Also notice that the rear portion of the rear fender line on two of them are a different shape. Then watch where they end up in each photo.

@alpink - when you say the tampo on the green right rear fender is missing you are referencing only the HW's logo right?

@57hotbox - yes on the green one along with the missing HWs logo; the pin striping on the upper side panels and door and on the roof panel are worn away (or removed). The upper portion of the intake (tiips) are also painted (or worn away to black.) The engine is also either metal or painted and not chrome like the others. If you would line them up side by side and show us front and back photo images of them - so that all cars are in the same depth of field (focus) range the engine details may be more evident.

Subtle body design changes occur in almost all long time production castings over time. An older mold could have been used for later production or replaced a new one that broke for instance. Most people know about the Camaro body changes and details. And if you follow any of the Corvette models they have them as well .

I havent studied the '57 in depth before so there may also be additional design variations between them. Just looking at the images in Fandom the body design looks to have changed around 1995 to 1996. All of these shown in the photos represent the 2000 mainline casting design though. There is also a similar rear fender tampo design for the different body fender line used on a previous casting in 1999 that better matches that shape. I cant recall seeing a tampo design change that different used on another casting before though. But since they are within one year of production to each other it seems plausible.

My question about the metal base on the green one still stands. As a 2000 model they should all be a plastic chromed base. From the different photos both the base and the motor look to be metal but only the OP can tell us for sure.

So depending on how you want to view each difference noted above - one (green) has obviously been modified from original, the bodies have both tampo and design variations, one of them may have a metal base and/or engine and the play wear could have been deliberate - which could be considered tampering. I would call it detailing or customized.
Hi, Thank you for sharing knowledge and information, your right, it's detailing and customization, that's more appropriate, Thank you for the assistance. Stay safe.

·
Administrator
26,546 Posts
So are these part of your own collection that you have accumulated over time? Or did you get them as a group recently? I know a lot of people who collect them, but most only want one of each release and dont look for variations and will not add even a slightly custom piece to their private collections.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So are these part of your own collection that you have accumulated over time? Or did you get them as a group recently? I know a lot of people who collect them, but most only want one of each release and dont look for variations and will not add even a slightly custom piece to their private collections.
Hi, acquired these through the years, because sometimes I forget if I have it already, 😊, and if it has a good deal, I really like 57 chevy. Any brand as long as it's a 57 chevy. Thank you, More power.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi, acquired these through the years, because sometimes I forget if I have it already, 😊, and if it has a good deal, I really like 57 chevy. Any brand as long as it's a 57 chevy. Thank you, More power.
Hi, yes accumulated these through the years, got it from different people and places. I like loose and played with 57 Chevys, it has the Story.

·
Administrator
26,546 Posts
I am not aware of a dedicated group of '57 Chevy collectors who have their own site - like the Hot Wheels Corvette group I belong to. But, if you have the time and are interested perhaps you could start adding your collection as individual casting posts in the general diecast section or if you want to do just the Hot Wheels portion of your collection in the Hot Wheels section as a variations reference thread for others.

We also like reading about where and how you found them.

There are probably already a few different threads on '57 Chevys in either section already or you can start your own new thread for them. Either way looking forward to see more of '57 Chevy collection!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am not aware of a dedicated group of '57 Chevy collectors who have their own site - like the Hot Wheels Corvette group I belong to. But, if you have the time and are interested perhaps you could start adding your collection as individual casting posts in the general diecast section or if you want to do just the Hot Wheels portion of your collection in the Hot Wheels section as a variations reference thread for others.

We also like reading about where and how you found them.

There are probably already a few different threads on '57 Chevys in either section already or you can start your own new thread for them. Either way looking forward to see more of '57 Chevy collection!
Hi, Wow! SurThank you for the invitation, I really appreciate it, I have just little knowledge in castings and variations 😊, I hope to learn more from the experts, I have a YouTube channel (Tito Alvs) for my 57 chevys, for now, I have matchbox and Instagram (heyalvin57) it's more of a reference or idea what it looks like in different angles, although I don't have that much, because it's hard to find in our place. Hope you can check out my YT and IG. Thank you again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts