Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rebuilt a 5 hp Briggs last year. Had to pay the local mower shop $40 to cut the valve seats because I didn't have, nor could I find, the cutting tool required for the job. So, the question is, where can I purchase the valve seat cutting tool?

·
Team DCM
2,309 Posts
Briggs and Stratton Website or Jacks Small Engine Repair on the net.

·
Registered
143 Posts
You can also search some of the racing go-kart online stores also, I have one that we bought when I was racing go-karts back in the day.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys. I see that Jack's has two different sets of valve seat cutters and they're both pretty expensive. It's no wonder my local mower shop charged me so much to cut the seats.

·
Premium Member
15,151 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
to add to what hank said, be sure and remove ALL of the lapping compound after you are finished with a spray degreaser or brake/carb cleaner. its not something you can just wipe away.

if the valve seal is really rough, start off with the course lapping compound and go at it for a bit, then finish it off with the fine compound. same procedure for sanding anything really. ;)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice on lapping. I am familiar with the procedure and have the compounds and lapping tool for the job as I've done it many times on automotive engines. However, in this case the condition of the exhaust valve seat required a more aggressive approach. A buddy of mine has a complete set of valve seat grinding stones and pilots but since they are designed for use on larger (auomotive) engines, they were too big for the Briggs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi.

I to do some small engine work,and race jr dragsters with modyfied alky briggs style 5hp engines, thanks for a new place for small engines, also you may check ebay for the seat cutters just search for neway thats the brand name. see ya Ron Herndon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts