Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just found this forum and have many questions, but I will limit it to 1 for now.

Does a Larry Wood hand signed (on the card) HW have any extra value?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Really, It's only worth what a person is willing to pay for it.

If you have more questions , ask away as many of us here
can help you out if you are not sure about something.

Ask away :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Hobby Talk!
In my experience, autographs of Mattel Hot Wheels employees do not add
any monetary value to the item. More collectors prefer their collectors
mint on mint cards and the autograph just messes that up.

IMHO, autographs are a more personal nature when you get them in person.

·
Registered
674 Posts
IMHO, autographs are a more personal nature when you get them in person.
Agreed. I remember seeing a Hot Wheels Tailgunner with Ted Nugents' signature on it for sale some years back, and I remember thinking "What the heck???" I like Ted Nugent, but what does he have to do with diecast?

On the other hand, I do have a Snake Army Monza Funny Car that was autographed for me at the Gatornationals several years ago by Don Prudhomme. I have a copy of the Little Red Wagon autographed by Bill "Maverick" Golden. I have a copy of the Tameless Tiger autographed by Arnie "the Farmer" Beswick. I have a copy of the Beer Wagon autographed by Tom Daniels. And recently I had the good fortune to add an autographed GTO signed by Jairus, the artist that did the graphics for that model and many other JLs. I also recently acquired in a lot an autographed Camaro signed by "Hot Rod" Al Pletcher, a design engineer from Playing Mantis / Johnny Lightning. Let's see, I think that's everybody...

Do I expect these pieces to be any more valuable? Not really, they are just a nice little interesting subset within my collection that I personally value and appreciate more than most of my collection. What that means to the next person up the road really doesn't matter to me...these are probably the last pieces I would part with if I sold my collection. Some of these names will not be remembered outside of the diecast collecting world, but a few of them might be remembered for a little while yet.

Then there is always the little problem of validating signatures, how can a person tell if a signature is authentic? The names I listed are easy enough to validate, and the styles are varied enough that I pretty obviously didn't make them up. But that can be a problem when buying autographs second hand.

I'm not sure I answered your question, but thanks for letting me share.

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Yeah I think auto'd HWs carry more sentimental value to the person obtaining them as a memory to the event at which they were obtained. As for resale, not so much as they lose alot of luster. Only more of a nominal difference as a conversation piece.

In my collection, I have but one auto'd piece, and I paid a lot for it although it was received in exchange for a donation to his foundation.

·
Registered
10,980 Posts
All of my Autographed cars are Johnny Lightnings in their Your car is the star series. And one AutoFest GreenLight Green Machine (#004)They are Autographed by the person who owned the car or workes for Greenlight. They mean a lot to me and I'll never part with them. When I leave this world and my wife throws them up on ebay they will be worth little to nothing. Collect what you like and if Diecast and Autographs are your thing keep them. Enjoy Them. Let others worry about the value later.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I'm trading my autograph for redlines if anyone is interested :)
As long as that autograph is on one of your blank checks from an American back, I'll trade you every redline I have... :D one at a time, ;) The front bottom right hand corner will be just fine.

Please allow ten days for check to clear before redline is posted in the mail.

Here's a pic of the first redline you will receive:

__________________________________________​

Still a perfect flawless beauty fresh from the blisterpack. :D

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
As long as that autograph is on one of your blank checks from an American back, I'll trade you every redline I have... :D one at a time, ;) The front bottom right hand corner will be just fine.

Please allow ten days for check to clear before redline is posted in the mail.

Here's a pic of the first redline you will receive:

__________________________________________​

Still a perfect flawless beauty fresh from the blisterpack. :D

He said he wanted Redline(s) not a Redline

" but "

I will double down on top of your 1 Redline to 3 of mine for a nice cheaper price :p

These Redlines date wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy back to 1968-69 and Near Mint too.

I hope they are what you are looking for ..... :p:p:p:p

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Here are some of my auto-graphs:

Al Unser, Jr., Linda Vaughn, Buddy Martin

Mario Andretti, Danica Patrick, Micky Dolenz

Erik Estrada, John Schneider​

They're all worthless. Why? Because I would never sell them. For me the fun is getting these signatures in person. Each one represents a memory.

- JJ
www.hollywood-diecast.com

·
Registered
224 Posts
IMO, autographs are only as valuable as the certification that comes with it. If you can't prove that the signature is genuine, then it is only a blemish on the card.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I did see recently a Linda Vaughn autograph on a JL Hurst Olds for sale fairly reasonably, and it matches pretty well with Jage's. I thought about it, not really done thinking yet. I remember her from pictures hanging in every garage around when I was a kid.

Validation is tricky. I confirmed the Hot Rod Al autograph right here at HT. Found a pic in a thread where he posted and confirmed it was his sig on someone's diecast car. The sig on the car I got in the lot matches...exactly. A very distinct autograph once you see it. ;)

Talked to a gal a little while back who claimed she was the niece of Mike Stead, of Steadly Qwikwheels fame. I innocently asked if any of the Steadly pieces were autographed, and when I got the pics they were all marked "Uncle Mike." Too many other warning signs in that lot (like common mainlines stuffed in Little Debbie 3 packs)...I had to pass.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
They're all worthless. Why? Because I would never sell them. For me the fun is getting these signatures in person. Each one represents a memory.

- JJ
www.hollywood-diecast.com

IMHO, They are only worth something to the person who got them as you stated. 95% of the Collectors today don't buy them as their is no real proof they are real unless the person who got the Autograph took photo's of the person signing the item.

My .02c

1 - 15 of 15 Posts