Hobbyist Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
A more pressing question than blowing up forest domes would be:

What would this class of ships look like when not configured for wild life preservation?

They are cargo ships in normal service. What cargo do they carry and what do the cargo containers look like? What are the normal routes? Do they go to the gas giants and collect hydrogen, methane and other gasses in large cylindrical tanks? A regular route to make collections from the asteroid belt? Do they support a mining operation on Mercury? And thats just inside the solar system. What if they are capable FTL flight? When hauling cargo containers, do they carry a transfer vehicle for the containers? I have an idea for that ship, kind of a skycrane/dropship looking thing. It would have to be able to operate in many different atmospheres and gravities. I just don't see the Valley Forge being able to land on any planet. And that brings up more questions about supporting, and building, these ships in space.

And I thought I was done...

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
I never though much about the other uses of the ships. But with your creative thinking, we will be seeing some surprises. I bet they have bases on the moon, and Mars, to support.

On another note, I received my model today. :hat: It is very nicely detailed, lots of parts, and my next model to build. :) The base is impressively detailed. The PE parts will really help the model look more like the movie ship. So far looking at all the pieces, it is worth more than I paid. :thumbsup: Thanks, Cozmo!! :wave:

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
cozmo said:
A more pressing question than blowing up forest domes would be:

What would this class of ships look like when not configured for wild life preservation?

They are cargo ships in normal service. What cargo do they carry and what do the cargo containers look like? What are the normal routes? Do they go to the gas giants and collect hydrogen, methane and other gasses in large cylindrical tanks? A regular route to make collections from the asteroid belt? Do they support a mining operation on Mercury? And thats just inside the solar system. What if they are capable FTL flight? When hauling cargo containers, do they carry a transfer vehicle for the containers? I have an idea for that ship, kind of a skycrane/dropship looking thing. It would have to be able to operate in many different atmospheres and gravities. I just don't see the Valley Forge being able to land on any planet. And that brings up more questions about supporting, and building, these ships in space.

And I thought I was done...
If I might offer my thoughts....
I would go w/attachment points that are exactly in the same place as where the eco-pods are located. I think that square shaped cargo pods would likely work best, tho you could maybe opt for something different. Fuel pods - regardless of liquid or gas - could be circular or cylindrical shaped.

FTL? It's never mentioned, but they didn't seem to have any real lag-time for communications, IIRC. That, to me, implies a definite potential for FTL of some sort, if only communications. FTL flight capability certainly shouldn't be out of the question.

However, I disagree about any sort of real atmospheric capbility for the ship. She seemed to take a beating just skirting the upper atmosphere of... Saturn...? I'm forgetting. As such, tho, I don't seem them actually collecting the stuff, but simply maintaining the role of freight hauler.

As an additional side-note, for those who didn't already know this, re-used footage from Silent Running for TOS Battlestar Galactica, specifically in the episode "The Magnificent Warriors" where two of the three agro-ships are destroyed and the third damaged. Images of Vipers and Cylon Raiders were superimposed over the original SR footage. Great stuff! I believ they also did something similar for an episode of "Galactica: 1980", but don't recall for sure, having mostly deleted memories of that show from my mind.

Anyhow, I've added a Valley Forge kit from another company to my RagTag Fleet and might need to add one of these if they're still available in a couple of weeks.... :)

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Did some work on one set up for carrying cargo. Nothing done enough to photograph, but something that makes sense.

The hole on the starboard side is there for a reason. It docks a tug. Something that can offload a container from the stack and deliver it to a location without its own port facilities. There are doors that close off the opening in the hull that form a pressurized garage for the tug and any cargo that may need to be loaded into the ship itself.

The tug and the garage were not neede while the Valley forge was set up for forestry duty so they were removed to save on maintenance.

The tug is the three bottom drawings.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Lots of questions via email. Instead of writing the same thing over and over, here goes.

I know there are three rods that make up each of the three truss spars. It would take a page of instructions and many more parts to construct them. For some one who knows this inaccuracy, it is something that can be done. It just takes time and work. I am doing that for my ultimate Valley Forge.

There are lots of problems with the filming model. The model does not match the filming sets. Every view that shows a human, or drone, for scale, has the three tubes that make up each of the three truss spars, approximately one meter in diameter. I know the filming model does'nt have a central spine going bow to stern. Unless the ship has a "Star Trek" like transporter, there is no way a man, let alone the ATV, especially pulling a cargo container on a trailer can get from the main hull to the part of the spine that the domes are connected to. I chose reality over accuracy on this one.

The spine does not go to the bow. The forward sensor is mounted to a three pronged anchor that attaches to the truss spars. Same thing with the stern vanes.

The sensor on the superstructure is as detailed as I can get it in that size. To bad, it looked really neat drawn out. And there are photos of the filming model that shows the sensor reversed, go figure.

The number 313 only shows on a few shots on the port side of the superstructure. I made the decal for the starboard side to big on purpose. Thats the only way it would be visable.

The gridwork on the trusses needs to be that thick or even fewer of them would turn out. Besides I made some thinner and they didn't look right. The only details I added that I didn't confirm using pictures of the model is whatever is on the bottom of the hull. I didn't like the way it looked blank.

There are some details I left off. The six small spheres mounted near the bow and stern of the ship, pieces of strut attached to the truss and hull.

The domes match the filming model, not the sets. The forest set had a wall. Nothing from the model suggests any wall in any dome. Looking at all the pictures of the model, stills from the movie, watching the movie, and documentary many times, I can veryify the layout of each of the six domes. Okay, I added a pond to the desert dome, but it needed one. Besides, I don't recall there being a desert in sub-tropical south-eastern U.S.A. The trees are to big. Easier to cut them down than to make bigger ones. Glue and powders work better than flocking to build them up.

I put more effort into this kit than any other model less than three feet long (I have some R/C ships that I spent years on).

I probably left some stuff out, but that is all I can think of, or been emailed about. I did lots of research on this one and will be happy to discuss anything about it.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
As for my view before I got mine, and now I have it, for it's size, it has very good details. Having viewed the movie for research, to build this model, I am happy as to the details of the model. Building the domes, just with the decals, would look good.

I recommend this model, but be warned, with all the detailed parts, it is not a slap together model. You have to take your time building it, and the time is well spent.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I have it worked out but nothing physical for the "Vally Forge" type vessels in regular commercial service.

There are two types, container carriers and tankers. The Valley Forge is a modified tanker. The container carriers have no need, or use for the attachment points like those the domes attach to. There are platforms that attach to the forward booms of these ships. Containers are secured to the platforms. This greatly reduces port time for these ships. They simply come in and drop off a platform full of containers then pick up another platform. Using a platform, rather than just having the containers attach to the ship also makes it more versatile. The ship itself does not need to be modified for odd shaped, or over-sized cargo. Just modify a platform.

Haven't decided on the size of the plaforms, but I dont really need to. There are three planes the platforms can attach to. They won't extend over the edge of each plane (unless carrying a special cargo), so they will not interfere with the platform on another plane. Thats why each truss spar is made of three tubes. The attachment points for each plane are seperate.

Tankers need attachment points like the domes use. They may need to transfer contents from one tank to another. One tank may be specialized so it can disconnect from the mother ship, enter the upper atmosphere of a gas giant and return to the mother ship. Then its contents would be tranfered to a lesser tank and the filling process could be repeated.

That gives a reason for the ships to be in the vacinity of Saturn for the movie. Even though they were not in regular service at the time, they could have stayed with established shipping routes and continued with crew training as if it were a normal run.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts