Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Valley Forge

Going to splurge on the Micro-Mark photo-etch kit so I can finally finish this one.

Already drawing the parts to be etched (truss, antenna's, and stern vanes) and scribing a dome for vacuum forming.

I think the hull is a little too wide, but there just isn't a whole lot of info out there.

Changed the livery for the ship so it could actually be seen when the decal was applied.

By the time it is done, there will be resin, plastic, steel, photo-etched brass and vacu-formed parts in it.

·
Cautiously Optimistic
5,017 Posts
Very cool. Love the graphics.

I'll be watching this one come together with interest. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Great looking project

Looks great Cozmo, but a small little nit. If I remember correctly the three ships in the movie were Valley Forge, Berkshire, and Sequoia in this Particular convoy. Also the dialog hinted at their being other convoy ships. I hope to see more progress shots in the future.

AZbuilder
John

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its going to be right about 9 1/2 inches.

Scale? Heck, I don't know. Every time I think I have the scale figured out, something thows all my calculations out of whack. Different shots don't match a consistent scale. In the beginning of the movie, Lowell is looking out of the window and as the shot pulls back it gives the perception of a very large ship. Looking at the trees in the main dome also gives that perspective. The roads in that dome look to be between 4 and 5 feet wide. But, a still shot of the 26' model shows the roads in the desert dome and that gives the impression of a much smaller ship. There are a lot more inconsistencies that could mean this ship could be many scales.

There are lots of nits to pick on this model, but not the names. I figure there are lots of these types of ships out there and they aren't all under the US flag, or operated by American Airlines. Cunard sounds about right for a british ship and Yorkshire was the best name I could come up with. Need a name for a Canadian flag carrier, and a Russian...and a Japanese...and...

This may be it for a while. I know close to nothing about photo-etching and I figure there will be a learning curve.

I have wanted to build one of these for a long time, and I want to get it right.

Or, as right as can be done in this size without being so fragile it cannot support its own weight.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Looks promising so far! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Thanks for the info, Cozmo!

I like the thought of other names, for the other fleets. I trust you to come up, with some cool names. Good luck, on your PE work!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Ditto what Lloyd said:D . I was thinking you were going for cannon names, I should have realized differently When you were using Cunard as a carrier. I think that the White Star Line is still a carrier, does the name Titanic ring any bells:). Any Japneese ships can have some type of "Maru" attached to it's name. Russian's could be names after early soviet space pioneers. I have built a early Larson designs "Valley Forge" which was O.K. but yours is looking good.

AZbuilder
John

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Marco Scheloske said:
Will this be a kit, or a one-of-a-kind?
I intend for it to be a kit. But that depends on if there is an interest for one. This is my "Holy Grail" kit. But that may just be me. I don't want to have an overly complicated kit that no one will want to build, or too expensive. Might do a few of them "built-up" first and guage interest from eBay.

terryr said:
HAve you seen these reference pics? Halfway down the page.

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/tech/othr_ref.htm
If those are the same pictures from a few years ago, then I have seen them.

Progress up 'til now

Bad weather last weekend so I had a chance to watch the movie and documentary again. Using those sources, and some pictures, I got a good idea of the layout for all six domes. The seventh layout fits best what is seen in dome #1.

In the documentary, the ship is given two different lengths; "2000 feet" and " a half mile". That would make the scale either, 1/2540 or, 1/3353. I think I will accept the former. It fits better with my other fleets.

There are eight ships specifically named in the movie: Valley Forge, Berkshire, Sequoia, Yellowstone (? it was garbled), Arcadia, Blue Ridge, Glacier, Mojave.

Sometimes the #313 appears on the port side and sometimes not, very frustrating.

The grid doesn't show up very well in the latest vacuum formed domes. And the photo-etch kit hasn't arrived.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Base and drones will be included if I do it. Already did the mold for a basic drone. Daughter wanted a pink one, so I now have a couple squads of them. A ship that big needs more than three drones anyway. That is a quarter that Louie is laying on in one of the pictures.

The base is still being decided on. The one pictured is the one I like right now. Trying to figure out how to suspend the ship better though.

Now, I just need to make a little ATV for it.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
A blueprint! Finally. I made a version of this when I was a teen. Some acrylic rod, 2 square model bases, some tic tic boxes, and a clear dome from the sputnik kit was the best I could do. I painted it with house paint.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
New hull and domes

The final hull and domes are ready. Everything but the photo-etched parts.

Finally got the profile of the domes right and gave them a noticable geodesic effect.

All of the resin and vacuum formed parts fit properly and there is very little clean-up needed for the resin parts.

The conectors are being modified to fit onto the spine and connect to the truss properly with a minimun of trimming or filing.

It is set up so the truss can be modified to use three rods for each of the spars like in the movie, or a single rod for ease of assembly.

There will be a new mold for the drones with them mostly assembled.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I am really getting pumped about this. I have the Mini Model Madness kit, but I have to say it was a bit disappointing- decent for what it was, but nothing like this.

Bring her in at a decent price, and I'm there!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As it is now, I figure it to be about $30.00. That is without the photo-etching though.

I am hoping the photo-etched parts can add support so plastic rods can be used for the truss instead of the hard to cut steel piano wire I am using now.

Lot of big molds for so little resin and lots of pressure to get the resin into the details.

Very time consuming, cutting the steel rods to length, casting the main hull around a tube then removing the tube (gotta' find an easier way to do that) and the dome bases are very hard on the mold.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts