Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me for posting a Matchbox transporter on the Hot Wheels thread, but I use it as a way to display several "Vair-iations" of my Vairy-8 collection. I've had the truck since I was a kid! I have another of these rigs that I found cheap on eBay that will eventually hold 4 more Vairy-8 color schemes. I've already caught a little ribbing for posting this photo with Hot Wheels on the truck over on the Matchbox thread!

·
Premium Member
9,007 Posts
Nice Vairy 8's Corvair's Congrats.:wave::thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
One of my favorite modern era Hotwheels for sure.A Corvair,and all metal to boot.

The Corvair and the history of the car has always fascinated me.The Corvair trucks are pretty cool as well.My dad actually had a couple that he bought for like nothing.One had a turbo if I remember right,way ahead of its time.

Sadly not a lot of Corvair diecast out there.As much as I like this HW drag Corvair,I would love to see some stock Corvairs done.

Maybe M2 will give us something someday.

Mike

·
Registered
13,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One of my favorite modern era Hotwheels for sure.A Corvair,and all metal to boot.

The Corvair and the history of the car has always fascinated me.The Corvair trucks are pretty cool as well.My dad actually had a couple that he bought for like nothing.One had a turbo if I remember right,way ahead of its time.

Sadly not a lot of Corvair diecast out there.As much as I like this HW drag Corvair,I would love to see some stock Corvairs done.

Maybe M2 will give us something someday.

Mike
That's pretty cool about your dad's Corvair trucks, Mike. Not too many get the Monza Spyder/Corsa turbocharged engine transpanted into them. You're right about the Corvair turbo being ahead of it's time. The 1962 Corvair Monza Spyder was the world's first successful turbocharged automobile, years before such manufacturers as Saab and Buick had their great success with turbos. Oldsmobile actually beat Chevy to the punch by about 2 weeks with a turbo V-8 in one model of their full-size cars, but it had so many problems that the turbo engines were replaced with high-performance non-turbo units free of charge for customers who wanted it done. Meanwhile, Chevy made thousands of turbocharged Corvairs over a 5-year run, from 1962-66.

Johnny Lightning had four "Vair-iations" of the "Early Model "(1960-64) coupe and convertible a few years back, and Racing Champions offered an early coupe in several different colors as well as their "Police and Fire", "Gold" and "Stock Rods" series. They also made one, a replica 1964 Fitch Sprint version, to commemorate the Corvair Society of America National Convention in Daytona Beach about a decade ago. I have one of thoise that WILL stay in the package, but I plan on at least one of those Matchbox transporters being set aside to hold my "Vair-ious" Racing Champions Corvairs. What I really want to see now is a "Late Model" (1965-69 style, like the Vairy-8) in stock form. I agree that M2 would probably be the best bet for one.

(BTW: Thanks, Trev, for giving me the pass on the Matchbox truck! :))

1 - 8 of 8 Posts