Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found a pro shop kit yesterday and was wondering if it would be dangerously brittle by now

·
Super Moderator
24,368 Posts
Welcome to the boards @jkirk and congrates on the find! That sounds like an interesting dilemma to have without knowing the storage history of it. I am presuming it is still intactly shrink wrapped since you dont know yet yourself. Where did you find it? ?

·
Oxidation Genius
31,116 Posts
Is it the clear plastic version?
Solid colored plastic won't be brittle, even after decades. But I'm not so sure about the clear, which is brittle to begin with.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Yes, clear. Seems ok but.........
But....? I would suggest not using the sprue cutter close to the parts, if at all. The plastic is brittle enough that if you cut the sprue next to the part, the part is likely to crack. A razor saw and a file are probably the best approach. Or a Dremel disk cutter.

·
BANNED
7,646 Posts
Testors 3502 liquid glue for plastics is your friend.
I use it to rejuvenate 50+ year old Aurora plastic slot car bodies.
in fact, dicing up some spare plastic and dissolving it in the liquid glue ( GOOP ) can be used to restore wheel wells that were hacked out and reveal a final finish that looks new.
in some cases, just applying the Testors 3502 with the applicator brush on the inside of an original, clean, Aurora plastic slot car body often rejuvenates the plastic to original pliability and luster.
I have not been seriously into model building for quite awhile, but most the plastics were similar formulas and this might help you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
in fact, dicing up some spare plastic and dissolving it in the liquid glue ( GOOP ) can be used to restore wheel wells that were hacked out and reveal a final finish that looks new.
in some cases, just applying the Testors 3502 with the applicator brush on the inside of an original, clean, Aurora plastic slot car body often rejuvenates the plastic to original pliability and luster.
I have not been seriously into model building for quite awhile, but most the plastics were similar formulas and this might help you.
I'm painting it in the Shenzou scheme, with the metallic greys and silvers. I would like to aztec it also but can't find any. Any ideas?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts