Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello I have not posted in awhile,this is my first model I have done in 9 months,I lost interest for awhile,but I had this kit and decided to bash it into the Saratoga.

For starters,I had to make a mold for the right nacelle,because the original was damaged with no detail being in the front,it crumbled when I touched it for the first time.

Well after I made the mold from the left nacelle,I cast one and repaired the right nacelle. Then I hand made the rear of the guns from wood pegs from a bookcase I have,I made the front of the guns from another kit I have.Then I cut the small retangles to attach the guns to from a square of styrene I had in my stash box.

And so far the pics are of my progress so far,I should have this finished by tommarrow,Enjoy.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s289/saiyagohan_album/001.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s289/saiyagohan_album/002.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s289/saiyagohan_album/004.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s289/saiyagohan_album/005.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s289/saiyagohan_album/006.jpg

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s289/saiyagohan_album/007.jpg

·
Banned
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lloyd,I appreciate the kind words. I have had to stop work on this at the moment.Stomach Flu got me,man o man never seen the toilet this much,LOL.:lol:

·
Banned
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the well wishes on this stomach bug,it is getting a little better I guess,I haven't seen the toilet but 4 times today,it was much worse yesterday.:lol:

·
Banned
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry bout that Griff,tryin not to be to graphic.Just feelin the flu. I feel a little better,but it stinks. Just been in bed today watching Star Wars on HBO all day.

The scale I think is 1400 on it. It is about 6 inches long,without the sensors it is about 3 1/2 inches wide. There was no real scale on the box or the instructions.

Maybe someone can help with the scale on it? Anyway Glad your back home,hopefully to stay this time? Anyway Thanks Griff :thumbsup:

·
Banned
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update-almost Finished

Well Sorry it has been almost 2 months since I have done anything with this. I think I have a severe case of burnout,as far as doing models.I just don't have the fire I once had doing them. But anyway here is the almost finished pic of this.I think it turned out ok,I guess. Just have to do decals and a few areas of detail painting. Enjoy:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f65/tyboy4u/saratoga.jpg

·
Banned
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I have not had much response to this,but I know why. Anyway I did some research and the scale on this is 1/1400. I found another one of these for sale on another site and it was the same model kit,and it stated the scale was 1/1400.

Anyway I should have the decals made for this by this weekend and have this finished I hope by next week sometime. I have a few more kits to do and finish up and I think I will be getting out of doing them. I really have not had much interest in doing kits anymore,and as Scotty said: "It is time I acted my age,and stop living in a computer generated fantasy." Well it may have not been said exactly like that but I think you get the gest.

I would like to publically apologize for any comment or action that has happened in the past,and thanks those who have commented on my models I have shared here. Thanks everyone.

·
Banned
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Griffworks said:
OK, you totally lost me.... :confused:
I just feel like the past is part of the reason I don't get any responses when I post anymore,and I wanted to apologize to everyone to clear up any past mistakes on my part,whether it is my fault or not.

And so I don't lose anyone else here,I have really lost interest in doing models in almost the last year or so,I figured I would at least thank those who have posted on my threads about my work.

I have a few kits to finish up and then I will most likely either not do models anymore,or take a long vacation from it.I have realized that these forums can either make or break modelers.And it has broken me to the point I don't even enjoy sci-fi like I once did anymore either.

I am considering selling all of my completed work,and my DVD collections and just move on from this.The only person that has been really fair to me is you Griff,for that my thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I was waiting to see the model finished before making any further comments. It's looking pretty good, thus far, tho I don't recall the "pods" being orange. I thought they were more of a red or maroon...

Too bad someone doesn't sell an aztec template or decal for that model.

My advice is to not take a lack of response on model posts so seriously. The guys in my local club have been giving me (good natured) crap about not having finished a model in a long while - tho I have, I just stripped the decals back off after showing the guys, but haven't put the aftermarket decals on. I've been posting the same pics there that I have here, but have gotten only one response. And this from the guys who have also been bemoaning the fact that there aren't many of our local folks posting in our own forums - and there are over 20 of us who are regular's that have computers. It's disappointing, but I'm not sad or angry about it. Like a flight attendant on my last flight back from The Desert said, shift happens.

Anyhow, just put your SciFi stuff aside for a while, build another type of kit or get in to another hobby for a bit and then come back in a month or four and see where you are. I've burned out a couple of times on Trek and moved to Battlestar Galactica and back to Trek a couple of times over the last two or three years. It happens.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I agree with Griff .I love sci-fi but I moved on to other kits just to keep or improve my skills or just be creative in doing what I want .. You can paint the ship crazy plum purple with flames if you want ...It will still look cool.. Umm a purple Foker Dr.1 with fllames It could work.. Nice build BTW would like to see more if you wish to share !! Thanks Jeff

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
Sai,

I know I was reluctant to post a response since I really couldn't see the quality of your work. Some hints:
  • Don't post blurry pictures. They don't evoke interest and they don't do any justice to your work
  • Buy or borrow a decent digital camera to take pictures
  • If you can't buy or borrow a decent digital camera, use a regular film camera but don't get too close. Better to have your model small but in focus than close up and blurred. You can crop the image down to a usable size with a free photo management software (like Irfanview)
  • If the lighting inside is normal household lighting, take your pictures outside (partly cloudy days are best to avoid sharp shadows) on a plain background (white, grey or black cardboard, for example)
  • If it's raining and you have to shoot indoors, make sure you have plenty of light and rest the camera on something solid. Put the model on a PLAIN background! Use the camera timer (if it has one) so you can press the shutter button and leave the camera motionless while it shoots the picture. Use slow shutter speeds and high F stop/apertures for better focus if possible
They are many web-sites that can offer hints about photographing models. You could even try searching the Hobbytalk boards. We all love to show off our work but a blurry photo of a work of art is still just a blurry photograph.

My suggestion? Shoot off a whole roll of film of one subject, making a note of the conditions for each shot (distance from subject, type of lighting, etc.) and see what works best.

Oh, and turn off the fancy large size typeface.:cool:

Jim

·
Banned
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Griffworks said:
Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I was waiting to see the model finished before making any further comments. It's looking pretty good, thus far, tho I don't recall the "pods" being orange. I thought they were more of a red or maroon...

Too bad someone doesn't sell an aztec template or decal for that model.

My advice is to not take a lack of response on model posts so seriously. The guys in my local club have been giving me (good natured) crap about not having finished a model in a long while - tho I have, I just stripped the decals back off after showing the guys, but haven't put the aftermarket decals on. I've been posting the same pics there that I have here, but have gotten only one response. And this from the guys who have also been bemoaning the fact that there aren't many of our local folks posting in our own forums - and there are over 20 of us who are regular's that have computers. It's disappointing, but I'm not sad or angry about it. Like a flight attendant on my last flight back from The Desert said, shift happens.

Anyhow, just put your SciFi stuff aside for a while, build another type of kit or get in to another hobby for a bit and then come back in a month or four and see where you are. I've burned out a couple of times on Trek and moved to Battlestar Galactica and back to Trek a couple of times over the last two or three years. It happens.
I think I will take your advice here,I sometimes feel that some just won't let go of the past. I have probably said I'm sorry more often than I have completed any models in the past 11 months. I try to think of this just as a hobby,but sometimes others can be so cruel.

I am only human here,this is supposed to be for fun,of course anymore it seems to be about profit. And anyone who threatens the profit well they are shunned for their opinion,tried and convicted. And I can't help it sometimes,but my feelings have gotten me into trouble.

All I have tied to do is learn from others to harness my own skill to do models,but like I said I have done my share of wrong also.Sometimes I wish I could just turn back the clock.But I can't. I just want to be accepted just like anyone else.

modelgeek said:
I agree with Griff .I love sci-fi but I moved on to other kits just to keep or improve my skills or just be creative in doing what I want .. You can paint the ship crazy plum purple with flames if you want ...It will still look cool.. Umm a purple Foker Dr.1 with fllames It could work.. Nice build BTW would like to see more if you wish to share !! Thanks Jeff
Thanks for your support modelgeek,I am going to take his advice,and I do have a locknar model I painted yellow and black to look like a taxi,I just have not found any decals to go with it yet.

Arronax said:
Buy or borrow a decent digital camera to take pictures
I have a fuji digital camera,I just have problems with lighting and getting the pictures to come out clear. And Photobucket does not help either,It downloads pics and the biggest possible pixel it can,and when I try to reduce the pic,well it makes it too small.Maybe I will take a class on taking pics or something. But Thanks for all the advice on taking pics. I will take it to heart and try your suggestions.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Honestly, George, I think you're overreacting to all of this. I doubt the only reason that the majority of folks haven't responded is due to your past. Heck, most folks here prolly have no clue who you are and prolly care less what you may or may not have done to whom. To also be blunt, it comes across as if you're looking for the pity of others - and that is what tends to turn folks off more than anything. I'm sure that's not what you want, either.

Anyhow, some more advice (it's free, right? :) ):

So, take some time away from the forums and sci-fi modeling for a while - maybe a month or three. Work on some models of a different genre or get away from the modeling hobby all together for a while. If you still don't feel like modeling, give it another month or two. If you still feel the same way, get rid of the stuff and pick up a new hobby. When I've felt that way in the past about a hobby, I give it at least one extra chance and then get rid of all but a very few, favorite items.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
saiyagohan said:
I have a fuji digital camera,I just have problems with lighting and getting the pictures to come out clear. And Photobucket does not help either,It downloads pics and the biggest possible pixel it can,and when I try to reduce the pic,well it makes it too small.Maybe I will take a class on taking pics or something. But Thanks for all the advice on taking pics. I will take it to heart and try your suggestions.
I can't access the site from here at work, but check out Starship Modeler, specifically the Site Map. Look for the Hints and Tips section, I think it's called. There's at least one good article there on photographing models, if not two. Good information to be had that that doesn't just apply to models if you feel like getting in to amateur photography. I'm sure there are also other online resources you can pull up with a Google.com search.

·
Banned
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
griffworks said:
To also be blunt, it comes across as if you're looking for the pity of others - and that is what tends to turn folks off more than anything. I'm sure that's not what you want, either.
I have read what I have written so far,and believe me I am not looking for pity,I am just really feeling burned out.But I am going to take your advice and take a break from all of this for awhile. And believe me I know first hand that it does no good to be a victim or act like one.

These places take no prisoners. I just want to thank you for being understanding and trying to help me here. And I will read the articles over at Starship Modeler about the taking pics of my models.Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts