Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since last December, when I finally got things going, I've managed to finish a PL TOS Enterprise, a Nova class, a kitbash (the Swift), and a 1/537 class Abbe. Not that numbers necessarily mean anything, but it sure has been nice to finish some models. The latest one is this, StarCraft's resin Saber class. I know, it's much of a model (five pieces), but I'm fairly happy with how it turned out. JTGraphics' decals certainly are an improvement on the kit decals.

Anyhow for what it's worth, this is what the final version looks like.

Brad.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi Dr.,

That looks terrific!

What colours did you use? I'm starting to look at my Akira, and I think the two ships have similar colour schemes.

Cheers,
Ray

·
Registered
16 Posts
wow, thats one of the first models ive seen that actually looks 'on screen' accurate in it's feel. If i was told that was an OLD model id believe it! well done :)

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the nice comments. Here's one more picture. I'll look up the paint color when I'm in the garage tonight. The ship was weathered with artist's chalk. I make a little pile of the desired color on some sandpaper and lightly apply it with a brush. The panel lines you can see were done this way (using paper for a straightedge). I also very lightly overspray with the base color once I'm all done. Oh yeah, the blue on the nacelles looks a little more turquoise than it really is.

Brad.

·
Starship Class
11,843 Posts
Yes! Definitely looks like a filming model! Looks even better from the rear. The detailing there on the paint finish is superb! I'm going to try your method of weathering--sounds simple to do but very effective in its results.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i think it's the weathering and the 'grey-ness' of it that makes it look so much like a filming miniature. So often when people paint things they use bright and dark contrasting colours.

This in my mind makes them look too 'new' and too much like a model.

this is simply the best paintjob on a model i've seen on here :)

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the nice comments. I do like what a little ground up chalk and overspraying with the base coat can to do get rid of that showroom finish on a model.

By the way, I finally double-checked the paint color. It's "Pale Greyblue" acrylic from Vallejo's line of acrylics for models.

·
Starship Class
11,843 Posts
Dr. Brad said:
. . . It's "Pale Greyblue" acrylic from Vallejo's line of acrylics for models.
Looks to be the perfect scale color for that size model. :thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts