Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've come to the conclussion I just loose intrest when building kits everyone else has in their collection, But find great enjoyment building that one of a kind project, so I have boxed up my snow speeder and turned my intrest to a kitbash type project, welcome to the USS George Washington Ballistic Missile Submarine. I started this model by searching the internet for photos and drawings, of the Polaris type ballistic missile submarines, using these references I worked up some drawings of the basic layout of the boat, this is my rough interior layout but the finished project will not be this detailed.

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/4922/sub1oi.jpg

I have a Revell 1/200 scale “Thomas Jefferson Ballistic Submarine” kit on hand, but very quickly found I would require a second kit, to make modifications and for spare parts to complete this build. The main building requirement was to keep most of the main interior bulkheads in their original positions, this would allow me to use most of the kit decks for the interior and reduce the number of items needed to be scratch built. Most of the changes will be just trying to improve the deck layout and look of the interior of the boat. After painting the exterior in several places over spray got through the masked areas and messed up the interior paint job, but a light application to the interoir will fix that. Getting started I removed all the cast on detail from the interior of the hull and main bulkheads “with the exception of the Torpedo Room forward bulkhead, I have plans for that”. I used a Dremmel tool with a round metal grinding head, to cut away all the cast on details and bulkhead guides I did not want, I used 360 grit sandpaper to smooth out the rough areas before applying filler putty to smooth it all out. I cut away the sail from the other half of the hull and cemented the two sections together “The detail inside the sail is very limited so I decided not to show it”. This is how she looks after assembling the main hull pieces, filling and smooth out any joint lines and painting the exterior and interior bulkheads.

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/2118/sub2h.jpg
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/8647/sub3b.jpg

·
Registered
258 Posts
Sounds like a really cool project; I look forward to the build as I did your Jupiter 2.
This posting piqued my interest as I have unbuilt one of the original issues of the Revell George Washington (with fewer missile tubes than the actual boat).

Cappy D

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
The 1/200 kit is not a George Washington class sub despite the name on the box. Its a repop of the old Renwal USS Andrew Jackson. Renwal and Revell both have sold it under different (and inaccurate) names.

Revell had their own cut away GW albeit in a smaller scale.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 1/200 kit is not a George Washington class sub despite the name on the box. Its a repop of the old Renwal USS Andrew Jackson. Renwal and Revell both have sold it under different (and inaccurate) names.
All your points are true, but without a better shell to build my interior in, and being the First President sounded like a good choice of a name for my boat. I have both the Renwal "George Washington" which the hump on top of the boat curves down to meet the hull just in front of the sail. And the Revell "Andrew Jackson" on this boat the hump is slightly angled and flows out and meets the hull at the nose of the boat. May not be a GW class boat, but is the closest thing I have to model one with :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like a really cool project; I look forward to the build as I did your Jupiter 2.
This posting piqued my interest as I have unbuilt one of the original issues of the Revell George Washington (with fewer missile tubes than the actual boat).

Cappy D
Thanks for the confidence vote, now here is hoping my grand ideas and build turns out half as good as my drawing.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Both the Revell and the Renwal kits suffer mostly from being very old and also representing something both brand new and also top secret. Its not like either company was able to go down to Groton and measure a real sub. Both kits, Revell's in particular, were done using available published material and a lot of guess work.

You can make them into really nice, fun model kits. I wish I had another 1/200 Revell/Renwal sub. Revell Germany reissued it about 7 years ago and I passed on it... I really want one bad now!

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
Robert! we may be twins. I've got 3 or 4 of these in my stash. Including an original Renwal Ethan Allen (I think they're all Ethan Allen class). My plan is to light the interior with fiberoptics and overhead fluorescents. Maybe redo the reactor and light it with a UV LED (cut-away of course).

Next to Johan's Chrysler Turbine this was my favorite kit to mess up as a kid.

Are you going to arm the missile?

I'll be watching this carefully: I plan on starting mine in 10 or 15 years...

here's a reference site I found about 5 years ago...

here's more (most of the links from that first site are dead).

This page of the Thomas Edison has some nice interior pictures (still Ethan Allen class).

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Robert! we may be twins. I've got 3 or 4 of these in my stash. Including an original Renwal Ethan Allen (I think they're all Ethan Allen class).Are you going to arm the missile?.
Unfortunately the NRC turned dowm my licence request to purchase a small amount of material to arm my 16 missiles So looks like my boat will be firing blanks.

·
"I don't say much"
1,298 Posts

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Yeah the Renwal kit is an Ethan Allan class while Revells is more or less a George Washington. It gets confusing sometimes since Revell owns the Renwal tooling and has issued both kits over the years.

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
ahhh, I had no idea.

Here's George.

I'm not sure Revell did a better job than Renwal, maybe on the greeblees inside, but the profile still looks like Ethan Allen (missing a bunch of missile tubes in either case).

This is as far as I've gotten:

Here's Ethan:

The real George was pretty homely:

Here's an interesting picture. If the Navy couldn't get the profile right, how could they expect Revell?:

Here's an interesting paint scheme...

this bas relief gives some idea
of the actual pressure hull on one of these things. This is from the later Lafayette class but I bet it has a lot in common with Ethan Allen and GW.

·
Registered
122 Posts
WOW!!!

I remember those cut-away models. I had one with the spring-loaded ballistic missile that fired. It had a clear side that hinged on the base to close up the sub, iirc. The second one I bought didn't have the firing missile due the 'dangerous' nature of the firing (someone might want to see what it looked like coming out of the tube from the top view and end up with a tiny ICBM in the eye-ball!!!).

Unfortunately I was about 10-11 at the time and was more interested in building them than detailing them.

I might have one than is un-built somewhere. Next time I'm at my folks I'll look around for it.

Vindi

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Both the Revell and Renwal kits have been sold in different forms. The Revell kit originally came with a solid hull side that could be removed, although most issues have a glue - on side with holes cut in it to show off the interior. The Revell kit had working missiles in the first couple of tubes, although that feature was dropped later on (all you needed to do was add springs yourself).

The Renwal kit had a hinged, opaque hull side to show off the interior, but the kits were also sold with a clear plastic side.

Renwal's kit came with crew figures and was larger. Revell's kit was a bit more accurate (for guess work) inside, but lacked figures. It did come with a lot of decals for the interior. The kits came in various colors of plastic also, depending on which issue you got. I have seen the Revell kit in grey and light "hospital green" and also just all grey.

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
I've come to the conclussion I just loose intrest when building kits everyone else has in their collection, But find great enjoyment building that one of a kind project, so I have boxed up my snow speeder and turned my intrest to a kitbash type project, welcome to the USS George Washington Ballistic Missile Submarine. I started this model by searching the internet for photos and drawings, of the Polaris type ballistic missile submarines, using these references I worked up some drawings of the basic layout of the boat, this is my rough interior layout but the finished project will not be this detailed.

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/4922/sub1oi.jpg
hmmm after perusal of your drawing I see where you've hit on reality.

Hope my having this in my stash hasn't ruined it for you. If it makes you feel better they'll probably remain there until my estate sale. :drunk:

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hmmm after perusal of your drawing I see where you've hit on reality.

Hope my having this in my stash hasn't ruined it for you. If it makes you feel better they'll probably remain there until my estate sale. :drunk:
Ode to Dr. Smith.
"Oh the humanity of it all, another Quest Quashed by a Quadrupled set of submarines, oh my delicate back, curse you Steve244"......:)

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Robert; You are doing an excellent job. I have always loved the looks of the pre-Ohio SSBNs..Have fun with your build! I can't wait to see more pics!

Steve

·
"I don't say much"
1,298 Posts
You've posted a link to a tiny thumbnail which would be useful to anyone with the eyesight of a peregrine falcon. Here's the full-size drawing:

You're getting the same red x i was getting. There must be something about that navsource dot org page.

RK

1 - 20 of 151 Posts