Hobbyist Forums banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I finally finished drilling out the upper saucer. Good grief there were a lot of windows:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Upper Saucer Windows
by Steve J, on Flickr

Moving on...

Making good progress on the lower saucer. A few more to go before moving on to the secondary hull halves:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Lower Saucer Windows
by Steve J, on Flickr

I think I’m getting the hang of window drilling at this point:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Lower Saucer Window Light Test
by Steve J, on Flickr

I use a pinvise and a micro drill bit (70, 71, or 72 works well) to drill thru the plastic. Thankfully the kit has the window ports molded into the hull or it would be a nightmare to get the openings all straight and uniform in shape. A pointed round file is used for final shaping and debris cleanup. Any windows that don’t quite come up to snuff after shaping are filled in using my syringe and Perfect Plastic Putty, a water-based white filler putty. They will become dark windows at some point:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Window Drilling Tools
by Steve J, on Flickr

The saucer shuttle bay control room window piece was glued to the saucer using Testors model cement. I’m thinking now of lighting the windows with a small LED now. The LED would also light a pair of fiber optic strands for external floods underneath and to either side of the control room in front of the shuttle bay doors:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Shuttle Bay Control Room Glued
by Steve J, on Flickr

The brass PE doors were primed and glued to the clear kit part after sanding smooth. Something I also discovered - two tiny holes in the photo-etch piece for feeding .030” fiber optic strands from inside the model for the floodlights that illuminate the doors underneath the control room windows as seen in Nemesis. Just shows that Paul at Paragrafix thinks of everything:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Shuttle Bay Rollup Doors
by Steve J, on Flickr

Next up... Drilling secondary hull windows and fiber optics.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
the time and craftsmanship you are putting into this will make it invaluable when completed.
I think it will be impossible to compute the cost of the hours put in or the detailing involved.
this is certainly a love of hobby quest.
Thank you for such high praise. As far as attempting to put a dollar value on the hours spent on this build... let’s just say if I were building this for a client they would probably never be able to justify the price to their wife!😄

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Thank you for such high praise. As far as attempting to put a dollar value on the hours spent on this build... let’s just say if I were building this for a client they would probably never be able to justify the price to their wife!😄
Ain't that the truth.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
So yesterday I got ambitious and decided to tackle two things at once - the three docking ports on the aft end of the lowest of the three “bridge” decks and the aft facing dual torpedo launcher located atop the aft end of the same deck...

Using the decal sheet I took some measurements to help determine the length I needed to make the torpedo launcher. It’s going to be smaller than I imagined in my mind which is often the case:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Decal Measurements
by Steve J, on Flickr

Drawing from the few images available online I made a few sketches. This launcher is unique to the Nemesis version of the ship and the kit does not include it so I’ll use styrene rectangular rod and U-channel to make the main body and the two tiny photorp tubes respectively:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Aft Saucer Dual Photorp Launcher Sketches and Sizing
by Steve J, on Flickr

Changing gears after spending over an hour just figuring out the right width of the launcher (yeah, I’m anal that way) I turned my attention to the docking ports. The kit has three barely visible round indents indicating where the ports are located on the hull. Unfortunately, the kit is designed so the hatches would sit flush not extending out from the hull on three short access tubes. So...

I ended up finding a 5/64” diameter wood dowel that fit the photo-etch hatches perfectly. The wood dowel will fit the height of the sides and rear of the lowest bridge deck better than the styrene tubing I had planned to use. The PE hatches will be glued to the wood dowel pieces using 5 minute epoxy:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Photo Etch Docking Port Hatches
by Steve J, on Flickr

Because the sides of the bridge deck are slightly slanted and the docking ports need to be vertical I decided to drill holes and insert a short length of the wood dowel into each hole:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Hole Drilling for Wood Dowels
by Steve J, on Flickr

After inserting the dowels into the holes I dolloped some epoxy on the inside to glue them in place. Some divots left by the drill bit were filled with Perfect Plastic Putty:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Wood Dowels
by Steve J, on Flickr

After a little puttying and sanding I painted the dowels with Mister Surfacer 1000:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Docking Ports Primed
by Steve J, on Flickr

Having sorted the docking port tubes I went back to the photorp launcher which, after another hour or so of eye straining work, I brushed with Mister Surfacer and dry fitted above what I abbreviatedly refer to as “the lowest bridge superstructure aft observation deck“. Catchy isn’t it? I feel satisfied that the launcher’s shape and dimensions are very close to what Is shown in the CGI images. Some cleanup will be needed before I spray prime it and apply the finishIng coats to the hull:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Test Fit Aft Saucer Photorp Launcher
by Steve J, on Flickr

You wouldn’t think this all took about 3 hours would you? It did of course. As I’ve grown older I tend to spend a lot more time measuring and test fitting than I did in my more impatient youth; usually, I don’t mind saying, with much better results.

Thanks for reading. Think I’ll spend some time on the saucer shuttle bay window frames and doors next. Have to bend some fiber...

·
BANNED
7,982 Posts
attention to such minute detail sets this build apart.
this is like the old time (really old time) movie episodes that advised to come back next week!
;)

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
After gluing the photo-etch window frames in place over the clear plastic insert I used styrene rectangular rod to frame the windows so they will be recessed. All glued with CA. After the glue cures I’ll add another thinner strip to the bottom piece of the frame before filing and sanding to a more slanted contour. Then some puttying to fill in any gaps:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Shuttle Bay Window Framing
by Steve J, on Flickr

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
I’m toying with the idea of adding a floor behind the windows with some basic consoles; maybe even some silhouettes of crewmen standing behind them, like this scene from First Contact:

Or this scene from Insurrection:

They’d be backlit so wouldn’t need anything too elaborate to give the impression of an occupied control room.
Another idea would be to just paint the shapes on a piece of translucent plastic lit from behind, like the Shadowcasters I used for my big TOS Enterprise model.
Or... perhaps a combination of consoles in the foreground nearest the windows with silhouettes in the background.
Anyway you’re talking about some very fine miniature work.
Hah! This could be fun. 😸

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
After adding another layer of styrene rectangular rod around the photo-etch window frames I filed and sanded to a sharper angle resulting in a much more screen accurate look for the face of the shuttle bay observation/ control room. I’m pretty chuffed with how this turned out:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Finished Shuttle Bay Window
by Steve J, on Flickr

Still some cleanup to do but she'll look even better with a coat of Mister Surfacer afterward:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Saucer Shuttle Bay Control/Observation Window Mods
by Steve J, on Flickr

The forward upper saucer photon torpedo tube is glued into a recess carved into the second level above the main saucer hull directly above what will be the forward saucer fiber optic “spotlight”. I show spotlight in quotes since the actual illumination of the ship’s name and registry will come from the Raytheon Effect internally shining thru the hull plastic. The fiber optic light will just be there to sell the illusion:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Dorsal Saucer Forward Torpedo Tube
by Steve J, on Flickr

Think I'll work on the impulse engines next...

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Truly awesome work!
But the word "chuffed", I'm not familiar with.
Lol
-Jim G.G.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Truly awesome work!
But the word "chuffed", I'm not familiar with.
Lol
-Jim G.G.
adjective British Informal.
delighted; pleased; satisfied

Not to be confused with Chuft-Captain who was the Kzinti captain of the privateer ship Traitor's Claw,
who led an ambush on the Federation shuttlecraft Copernicus on stardate 4187.3 in 2269:

Chuft-Captain
by Steve J, on Flickr

He was Chuft but he was not chuffed when the slaver weapon he attempted to fire self-destructed killing him and his crew.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
adjective British Informal.
delighted; pleased; satisfied

Not to be confused with Chuft-Captain who was the Kzinti captain of the privateer ship Traitor's Claw,
who led an ambush on the Federation shuttlecraft Copernicus on stardate 4187.3 in 2269:

Chuft-Captain
by Steve J, on Flickr

He was Chuft but he was not chuffed when the slaver weapon he attempted to fire self-destructed killing him and his crew.
Damned good information sir, thank you for sharing.(y)
-Jim G.G.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Final modifications...

After closer inspection of Nemesis screen caps (and other online reference material) I realized the upper window framing needed to be about twice as thick as the lower window frame. The easiest way to do this was to sand off the upper “roof” panels and lay on a piece of styrene sheet before adding the panels back using more thin styrene sheet cut to the dimensions of the panels I had just sanded off. I also added a couple of narrow side panels to either side of the window framing that are visible when viewing the control room windows at certain angles off to the side. Afterward I puttied any gaps. Next I’ll give her a coat of Mister Surfacer:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Final Shuttle Observation Room Final Mods
by Steve J, on Flickr

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Right next to the TOS Enterprise , the Enterprise E is my favorite!
This extra effort you're putting in this build is fantastic Steve.
Loving these updates.
-Jim G.G.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts