4,068 Posts
Great work Steve!
Plenty of patience that you have there.
-Jim G.G.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Finished drilling and carving for the nacelle strut wiring...

I drilled these holes from the inside for wires to pass thru up into the nacelle struts:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Holes for Nacelle Strut Wires
by Steve J, on Flickr

The holes match up to channels I carved out of the lower nacelle strut half:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Holes Outside
by Steve J, on Flickr

Using a triangle, a mechanical pencil, a scriber, and my battery powered hobby dremel with a fine grinder
bit I dug out channels in the trailing edge of the two lower nacelle strut halves:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Making Wiring Channels
by Steve J, on Flickr

I initially had planned to put the channels further to the right in this photo where the tab fits into the hull,
you can see how far I got before realizing the plastic was too thin because of the recessed vents (?)
present on the other side of the part.
The plastic was thicker along the training edge and I didn't have to deal with carving and possibly weakening the tab:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Wiring Slots
by Steve J, on Flickr

Back to the nacelles...

Various stages of priming and light blocking the interior nacelle halves and the lower half of each nacelle strut:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Various Stages
by Steve J, on Flickr

Krylon Satin Black is sprayed inside each nacelle half.
Hopefully it doesn't get under the masking tape:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Nacelle Light Blocking
by Steve J, on Flickr

So that brings us up to date on this build. Looking forward to getting my flasher/strobe board from Tenacontrols. Hopefully I'll get it later this week or early next.
In the meantime I can work on the rest of the lights.

Stay safe and try to restrict any "treks" outside.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Sorry for the long delay between posts but I've been spending a lot of time working on the nacelle lighting. I finally got them sorted out though and glued together. Unfortunately, my camera and work laptop aren't communicating. My company has clamped down on any use of the USB port (the one I plug the camera into) for anything other than company approved uses so all of the in-progress photos on my old Canon DSLR are not able to download, possibly until I get a new camera with wi-fi access and/or I get my own laptop.
So I'm relegated to uploading photos taken on my iPad to Flickr! I took this photo this morning though so you guys can see how the lighting effect looks...

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP-Nacelle Lit
by Steve J, on Flickr

Three amber/red LEDs light the bussards which were painted on the inside with Tamiya transparent red acrylic. I used cotton to act as a diffuser around the LEDs. The top of the nacelles are lit by hi-density blue LED strip beneath a strip of translucent milk jug plastic which acts as a diffuser giving the nacelles a nice even glow. I still have to attach the clear kit part on the top of the nacelles but I may want to attach the photo-etch brass grills first.
The camera washes out the colors to some extent; to the naked eye the colors are more intensely blue and orangish red.
There will be two flashers on the aft end of each nacelle (top and bottom) which will be lit by fiber optic strands fed by a single cool white LED mounted inside. You can see a separate set of wires in the photo, the pair nearest the trailing edge of the pylon. They will flash once I solder the wires to the Tenacontrols flasher board which I will mount in the saucer.

More to come as I start drilling out some, not all, of the windows on the rest of the ship.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Looks great Steve!
Be nice to see a video 👍
-Jim G.G.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Thanks Jim! Once I get the flasher board installed I'll try and post a video so you can see the strobes and running lights in action.
Looking forward to it sir .
-Jim G.G.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Did some work on the quantum torpedo port...

A slot was drilled and filed out previously for the quantum torpedo launch port which is just above the Captain’s yacht in the underside of the saucer. The port will glow blue thanks to a transparent blue styrene part leftover from the 1/350 TOS Enterprise light kit. The part was glued in behind the opening with epoxy. It will be lit with a 2mm LED:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Quantum Torpedo Port
by Steve J, on Flickr

I glued the K size power jack into the secondary hull with epoxy. Later I’ll pack some AVES Apoxy Sculpt in around it for added strength:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Power Jack Installed
by Steve J, on Flickr

The inboard and outboard pylon halves were glued together with Testors tube glue for both pylons:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Pylon Inboard Half Attached
by Steve J, on Flickr

After spraying with adhesion promoter followed by Krylon Grey primer I will attach the upper nacelle grill halves using metal foil adhesive which is basically a tacky white glue. This water based glue will not craze clear plastic parts. I had already painted the raised center strip with Krylon white primer over Krylon flat black for light blocking down the middle of the clear covers:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Nacelle Grill PE
by Steve J, on Flickr

Took about two hours to finish gluing and cleaning up the brass nacelle grills with isopropyl alcohol on a cotton swab. The metal foil adhesive makes a sticky mess and there’s no way to avoid getting it on the painted side of the grills while you work to separate and space the grills while burnishing them down:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Nacelle Grill PE Installed
by Steve J, on Flickr

More to come. Think I’ll work on the impulse engines next.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Not to shabby Steve. :)
-Jim G.G.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Trekkriffic,

It's been quite some time but I wandered back to this site. I saw your build and am impressed. I know you did LED lighting for the nacelles, but take a look at this LED neon strip. You can cut it and solder it and I think there is enough in one item for both nacelles and then some. The beauty is, it is already diffused.
Flexible Silicone Neon-Like LED Strip - 1 Meter
I see DigiKey has them in stock.
Good luck and keep us posted with your build!
May the FORCE be with you and have a magical day!

MagicBill

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Trekkriffic,

It's been quite some time but I wandered back to this site. I saw your build and am impressed. I know you did LED lighting for the nacelles, but take a look at this LED neon strip. You can cut it and solder it and I think there is enough in one item for both nacelles and then some. The beauty is, it is already diffused.
Flexible Silicone Neon-Like LED Strip - 1 Meter
I see DigiKey has them in stock.
Good luck and keep us posted with your build!

MagicBill
Thanks Bill. The high-density LED strip I used actually does have a layer of silicone rubber laid atop the LEDs for diffusion. I'm not sure if the neon strip you mention can be cut to the same 6 inch length as the strip, although, I agree, it is an elegant solution for eliminating LED hot spots.
Steve

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Update...

I had been debating whether or not to open up the window ports or just rely on gloss white paint to give the illusion of lit windows. Then I thought about how cool those low light shots of the E looked with all those rows of lit up window ports so I finally decided to just go ahead and bite the bullet...

Using a pinvise and a fine pointed round file I commenced drilling out the saucer windows. Some of them will not be drilled out so I can paint them black later on. This took me about 6 hours and I am probably about only half finished with the upper saucer:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Drilling Out the Saucer Window Ports
by Steve J, on Flickr

The windows show up well when backlit. Still have a few hundred more to drill out:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Saucer Windows
by Steve J, on Flickr

After drilling for What seemed like hours on end I took a break to work on the impulse engines and shuttle control room part...

This is one of the two impulse engine vents. I sanded off the raised detail on the clear kit part and glued the PE grills in place with metal foil adhesive per the PE instructions. Then I used the aftermarket decal, putting it on the inside face of the clear part. It will be lit by a red LED:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- impulse Engine Vent
by Steve J, on Flickr

I removed a section of the saucer shuttle bay control room face and glued in a rectangular piece of clear styrene. The PE window frame will be glued on over the clear styrene with metal foil adhesive. Then I will use styrene strip to frame around the PE frame as the windows appear to be recessed from what I see in images of the external bay. The windows will be lit by ambient light inside the saucer:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Saucer Shuttle Bay Control Room
by Steve J, on Flickr

OK... well... back to drilling windows. Hope to be done with them by July.

Steve

·
Administrator
27,125 Posts
Well beyound my patience and now endurance! o_O But more power to you they look awesome! (y)

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
Awesome Steve 👍
You'll probably have no finger prints left by the time you're done.
-Jim G.G.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks Bill. The high-density LED strip I used actually does have a layer of silicone rubber laid atop the LEDs for diffusion. I'm not sure if the neon strip you mention can be cut to the same 6 inch length as the strip, although, I agree, it is an elegant solution for eliminating LED hot spots.
Steve
Steve,

You can cut it but they suggest you seal the end that is cut.
They do have caps but when they get used up, I'd use a dab of clear silicone caulk at the end.

MagicBill

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Took a break from drilling out windows on the E to see if I could cast the phaser strips for the nacelle pylons using Silly Putty and Envirotex jewelry resin.
I found two phaser strips on the aft end of the upper saucer that were the right length for making copies of. Breaking off a small chunk of Silly Putty I pressed it down over the strip on the model and carefully peeled it away. It made a perfect negative in the putty. I made a total of eight molds even though I would only need two strips for each pylon; I figured I could then pick the best four to use in case some didn’t turn out as well:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Casting Phaser Strips
by Steve J, on Flickr

The resin dried overnight and I was able to peel it off the Silly Putty with no problems.
I’d never tried this casting method before and am quite pleased with the results.
Some flash to clean up first then I'll prime them:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Nacelle Pylon Phaser Strip with Flash
by Steve J, on Flickr

Each nacelle pylon has one phaser strip top and bottom along the trailing edge. Only the Nemesis E version has them on the pylons. This saved me a lot of time having to make them from scratch using styrene plastic. It would have been challenging to make them all exactly alike going that route so I’m extremely happy with how well the Envirotex casting method worked:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Resin Cast Phaser Strip Test Fit
by Steve J, on Flickr

Now back to drilling out windows. I'm about 3/4 of the way done of the upper saucer.

·
BANNED
7,996 Posts
Silly Putty!
who would have guessed.
sometimes I need to make resin stuff in a jiffy and that sounds like a perfectly feasible plan.
thank you for the tip.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts