Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Starship Class
11,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Given the different registries in the various editions of the Star Trek Encyclopedia, if the first starship USS Carolina was NCC-160, then this is the second USS Carolina NCC-235. This is the Alabama-class heavy cruiser. A successor to the Daedalus-class, it is significantly larger.

The design was based on a few different Jefferies sketches cobbled together to come up with something that looked appropriate to the post-Romulan War era c.2170.

The bridge is the standard domed shell with turbolift shaft in the back used for about a hundred years.

The Bussard collectors are from the 1/650th kit and will have probes on the fronts.

The deflector is domed (a "defdome?") similar to the Daedalus class. IMHO, the domed deflectors work better aesthetically with the spherical hulls vs. the open deflectors.

The scale is 1/650th mostly constructed from PVC pipe, fittings, and clear acrylic globe with a few parts from the 1701 model kit and one from the 1/537th AMT/ERTL refit kit (the cowling at the front of the secondary hull). Epoxy putty was used to blend the parts in the secondary hull.

The nacelle struts are constructed from thick flat polystyrene plastic from a old product advertising sign at work. The piece on top is from the AMT/ERTL K'tinga kit and was used for applying the rub-down decals, IIRC.

The rectangular opening below the flight deck is meant to house an impulse deck. There will also be port and starboard impulse decks on the primary hull--the aft quarter sections. The plan is to light it up.

Not sure if I'm going to put some sort of end caps on the nacelles or leave them flat as on the Daedalus.

The mounting stand is made from 1/8th inch stainless steel plumbing pieces and, using rectangular brass tubing connectors, can hold different models with the same connection.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I love how you have cobbled together various irrigation, signage, craft, and kit parts to come up with a great design; something that really does look like an evolution of the Daedalus class. I can already see it will look good from a number of angles. Looking forward to seeing her lit up when you’re done.

·
Starship Class
11,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Trekkriffic 👍

I have been working on this a while between a couple of other projects and have just now got it where it's starting to gel.

·
Starship Class
11,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Spent the weekend working on plumbing for the engines for this and the Jefferies-class heavy cruiser (which will match the Mk.V & Mk.VI first pilot versions that had no fins on them). I've completed a few masters which I'll replicate in resin of the control reactors intercoolers. While I was at it, I also worked on the 1/537th versions for the Constitution class which are way too thin in the model kit. Pics to come.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts