Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey you guys. i have a question. i currently have a older traxxas electric rustler that needs a lot of overhauling done to it. i would like to have something to bash around my house once the snow out here melts and the weather warms up. do you think i should put the money into upgrading it, and if so what should i do to it, or should i buy something new to run, and if so what should i buy? i am on a tighter budget so cost is a factor but im not looking to go super cheap. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
IMO it is always cheaper to buy new than upgrade a worn out kit. There is nothing wrong with keeping an older car running, but you need to figure out what your break point for upgrade/repair cost is. If you end up spending over 1/2 the cost of a new car just to fix some parts on the old car, then I'd consider buying a new kit and using the old kit for parts. Another option is to sell off the old kit and use the money to buy a new kit.

I've spent more than my fair share of cash upgrading/fixing old cars and I always spend too much money to get them back to "like new" condition. I do tend to put too much money into my repairs, but you'd be surprised how quickly the cost of all those little parts adds up to.

·
Go Fast, Turn Left
4,799 Posts
If you can afford to get something new, that's what I would do.
Keep your Rustler around though. The Rustler tranny is a very popular part to use for a Rock Crawler.

Brushless is definitely worth the extra money. You could bash around the house for a long time before you'd have to even think about motor maintenance.

·
Go Fast, Turn Left
4,799 Posts
For playing around the yard I would stick with a truck. You could pick up a good Losi truck and be set for a long time. They go through the grass better. If your running on an asphalt driveway or in the street a touring car would be cool.

As far as the brushless setup goes... a Novak SS+ and a 4300 or 5800 would give you plenty of rip and runtime.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Again, it depends on how you want to run it. If you liked the Rusty a used Losi might work for you. if you want something a bit more "fun" how about a Stampede. Same concept as the Rusty but with larger wheels and more ground clearance.

There are a lot of good used trucks out there for cheap money. However, if you change brands (from Traxxas to Losi, as an example) then the parts wont fit. Getting a used Rusty would give you all the bits from the old one for when you break things.

The Losi will run circles around even a new Rusty. Especially with the brushless in it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.