Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I've received a number of inquiries as to when I was going to update the refit blueprints on Cygnus. The issue is that I converted from Turbocad (ACIS) to Rhino (NURBS). This conversion allowed me to run natively and to correct some shapes that I was never able to get 100% to my satisfaction in ACIS.

One of those shapes was the submarine deck on the warp engine. Before I had to make it more pointed at the end. Now I can get it properly rounded.

Another was the flare at the base of the pylons. If you look at the plans on Cygnus there is not nearly as much flare as there should be. This was an ACIS limitation. I made it as flared as I could. With NURBS I could get the proper flare.
Another area that bothered me was the shape of the neck and the aft end of the torpedo structure. I was able to fix that with NURBS.

Finally, the various bevels at the lower bridge level. With NURBS I could get them all exactly uniform.

There is still one problem: RHINO for MAC is still not able to convert the model to 2D for a plan. Hopefully, the next version will be able to do so. When it is able, these should be the final version because there is nothing left that really bothers me at this point. There will not be a lot of changes so the existing plans are entirely functional.

Registered
I have MoI, which reads and writes the same file format as Rhino (being written by the originator of Rhino). As long as the Rhino file is pure NURBS and doesn't contain any polygon data, I should be able to load it. MoI has a very nice PDF exporter which can generate othographic views. I outputs a pure vector PDF, with the various geometry lines interpreted as line weights and patterns. This is placed over a bitmap PNG with shading in the background.

Here's an example of my TOS Shuttlecraft.

I'd be willing to give it a try, if you're willing.

PM me.

M.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Moi chokes on this. Apparently too large. In regard Blender, I do not have much experience with Blender. I have tried but that path but I have not been able to find suitable export鈥搃mport path.

Registered
I run Rhino 5 on Windows and could handle it. The only issue is when you have any surface that merges/passes through another surface. It won't draw that intersection when generating a plan view. To get around this, you need to create a curve at the intersection, then it will appear in the 2D view.

Registered
Moi chokes on this. Apparently too large. In regard Blender, I do not have much experience with Blender. I have tried but that path but I have not been able to find suitable export鈥搃mport path.
You've tried it with the newly rewritten V4? It is still in development (nearing release), but all registered owners of V3 have access to the Beta version. It is quite impressive.

M.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Even the Rhino windows version does not handle this model. On V5 the grid lines around the side of the saucer, for example, turn out jagged. They rewrote the code for V6 but it does not work either. The hidden grid lines appear in the foreground. So the grids on the underside of the saucer appear on the saucer edge.

If anyone had a suggestion on a Rhino to Blender path, i'd try it.

Registered
Are you trying to render the entire model at one time? You might try rendering only sections of it. That might also help if trying it in another program like Moi?

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Rending is not the issue. The problem is to convert the 3D model to 2D. Breaking it up does not make, sadly. Here is a close up of one problem area in the saucer. Rhino has allowed the grid lines on the underside recess to bleed through.
Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 12.44.10 AM.png

In the model it looks like this:

When you do this in 3D you can't just draw lines and have the grid. The advantage of doing it in 3D and generating 2D drawings is that the views are consistent. You can tell plans drawn in 2D because the views never match up. The down side of doing it in 3D is the tool's 2D generate not working correctly on it.

Registered
When I said "render" in this context I meant Dimension=>Make 2D Drawing for the selected objects. Sometimes selecting fewer objects at one time makes a difference. Also making sure hidden lines are turned off.

Rhino can sometimes have difficulty with compound curved forms. It also will not create lines where some objects intersect. I imagine V6 is improved in this regard (I'm still using V5).

Another option to try is Curve=>From Objects=>Silhouette which is a manual way of creating a 2D drawing.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Make2D gives a lot oof bleed-through to the point of making a message.

Silhouette give a cleaner output but the includes all the hidden lines. Stripping it out would be a mess.

They rewrote Make2d for V6 but I have not seen any improvement.

Registered
My last suggestion would be to save a copy of the ship and hide anything that would not be seen in that view. This reduces the computational load on the software and reduces the chances of it generating lines you don't want to see. For example, with the saucer, split it in half and hide the far side.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Sadly, even doing things one at a time and splitting has not helped. The saucer in particular looks horrible.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts