Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I’ll get the least interesting stuff out the way first;

My oldest daughter and I (gently) cleaned out 1200ft. of drainage ditch with hand rakes. Even though I took very easy—I still was so sore I had to go back to Hospital.

Now the consensus is a torn rotator cuff- which means more meds, therapy, and possibly another operation. Double Darn!

Won’t know until the new x-rays are evaluated-

Enough of this- here is something that I found very interesting on (in) a 1/1 car and changed my way of thinking…

First off, I’ve never had much interest for cars with out of scale, out of proportion engines sticking out of their hoods- too unreal and cartoonish for my tastes. I accept this though, from seeing the “Zingers” many years ago.
Remember those?

They toured the show circuit in the early/mid 70’s. I remember seeing a van and maybe a Corvette.
Essentially they were the same concept consisting of smaller bodies instead of a larger engine.

These were modified go-kart sized frames (they used go-kart front tires and wheels) with real 1/1 car engines- fully chromed and topped of with a supercharger.
The frames were all similar with different bods’ draped over them.

I don’t know if they were driveable or not, but recall something weird about the driveshaft (if it had one). They made model kits of some of them as well—but I never bought any.

I came across this and have much more respect and understanding of it all now, plus a completely different outlook on this approach-

No picture shop trickery or photo editing magic here-
A 69’ Mustang cradling a vintage WW2 Ford tank engine! :eek:

An all aluminum 1100 cu in. 5.4bore, 6.0 stroke, 180 degree crank, 4 valves per cyl. DOHC Hemi V8.
This means Ford was building a Cammer and a Hemi in one engine- well before either became popular in US autos.
What a beast!!

Need more proof it’s not a dummy pic?
Here’s a vid’ of them firing it up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilyGlrM1Q6A&mode=related&search=

No wonder you won the war…

Cheers..

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
Phil,
Torn rotator cuff. Ouch! Well, maybe now you know when they tell you to take it easy, they mean it. :devil:

Can't believe the tubs in the arse end of that Stang. Looks mean. :thumbsup: Dave

·
Model Murdering
7,331 Posts
Dang it Boss. Ditch diggin? Scowl!

Be interesting to know the power to weight ratio and the torque specs on that 'Stang.
Looks like a bomb!

Enjoyed the P-51 clip too! I always enjoy the vintage air show when it comes to our region. It also brought back some fond memories of the piston powered thunderboats.

There's a Hydroplane restoration shop next door to one of the machine shops I frequent in Seattle. I was lucky enough to get the tour on a day when they lit off some Allisons and Merlins. Earth shattering to say the least.

Get that darn wing cut, so you can build some two handed slots!

Regards, Bill

·
Villain
4,632 Posts
Phil, go easy on the body, I am only 39 and sometimes I feel like I'm pushing it working at Home Depot (yes, still there).
That is some insane looking Mustang, how the heck could you drive it and see out the windshield??

·
Slotcar Fanatic
13,013 Posts
sethndaddy said:
working at Home Depot (yes, still there).
Ed,
Glad to see someone works at HD. Down here, HD doesn't have anyone working when I used to go in the store. :devil: Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts