Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used Testos paint thinners and Floquil thinner for years, and never had a problem with my paint projects. In the last year or so Floquil thinner vanished unless all you wanted was a 1 once bottle, many people told me to use Laquer Thinner so I tried it. Every thing I paint fuzzed on the surface, I tired retarder changing the air pressure, adding more volume to the point I was almost spraying pure paint, nothing worked. Yesterday walking through Hobby Bench I spotted this red can of thinner from Testors "Universal Enamal Thinner" for Aztek, Model Master and Floquil brand paints. Oh happy day I don't have to throw out my 30 bottles of Floquil paints. But boy are they proud of this formula at almost 10 dollars for 8 fluid ounces, but my paint flows smoothly again and no more sanding after each application.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
I think my enamels (and acrylics) with lacquer thinner. RPM owns/makes Testors and Floquil paints as well as Poly Scale.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure what the problem or the difference it makes using UET or just Laquer but I painted the interior of my submarine project and it went on smooth as glass using UET. Used Laquer to spray the primer and had to sand every spot I sprayed Primer on.

·
Registered
630 Posts
No expert at plastic model painting but in real world car painting you never mix lacquer and enamel. The two paint types kept separate from each other, different thinner for each one. Lacquer chemicals much hotter than enamel, will lift enamel paint job previously laid down. You can put enamel over lacquer but not lacquer over enamel, old painting rule. The lacquer will also tend to try to melt model plastic. I'd be looking for a thinner specifically compatible with enamel...........

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
You can put enamel over lacquer but not lacquer over enamel, old painting rule.
I need a mnemonic for this so I will finally remember...

"lacquer over enamel, Mark Hammil. Enamel over lacquer, Terri hatcher..." ? :freak:

hmm. no.

uh... ?

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Lacquer thinner will thin enamel paints as well as lacquers, and even many acrylics like Tamiya. ITs sort of a universal solvent.

If you are applying wet paint, you do have to watch what type of paint goes down first. With an airbrush and some primer this isn't much of an issue since the paint dries virtually instantly. Plus, if you are spraying acrylics cut with lacquer thinner, along with lacquers or acrylics cut with lacquer thinner there are no compatability issues under normal use,

There are also now new synthetic lacquer thinners that are plastic safe. You can take Mr. Color thinner or Tamiya's new synthetic thinner and strip paint off plastic without the lacquer thinners hurting the kit parts.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Could be. Airbrush layon is pretty thin. However, when refinishing like plastic car headlight to make clear again, if you use lacquer clear spray bomb you just ruined light. It crazes the clear plastic. Enamel clear won't do that. Don't ask me how I know................

Synthetic lacquer eh?

Have seen $5000+ custom car paintjob ruined because lacquer put over enamel, the enamel melted loose and messed up the lacquer overcoat. Again, not a model, and not thin airbrush layering.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts