Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use an ultrasonic cleaner for bearings? If so what do you put in the container to clean them?
Thanks

·
Registered
6,772 Posts
I have a long time ago. I used the jewelry cleaner that came with it.

If it is a steen container you can use almost anything, but if it is a plastic container, be sure not to use something that will harm the plastic.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
wd40 works great for used bearings, i always soak new bearing with laquer thinner,gets all the pig grease out,then blow dry,apply ,small drop of lite bearing oil

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Mineral Spirits works great, less odor and flammability issues also much more economical than using other solvents/motor sprays.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey chuck I bought it off ebay for like 20 bucks. part number cd-3800 digital ultrasonic cleaner.

Chuck B. I wont be there this weekend.

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
I use an ultrasonic cleaner all the time on bearings. Higher wattage models will really help. I use this powerful one for about 3-9 minutes on bearings.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3305

I put the bearings and mineral spirits or motor spay into a 1/2 oz glass bottle (like this). The ultrasonic waves transfer perfectly through the glass bottle to the cleaning agent to the bearings. I've used weak ultrasonic cleaners before that you could barely tell they are on. This ultrasonic cleaner is so strong it vibrates/tickles to hold onto the glass jar. When they are done and you take the bearings out, you can actually hear how clean they are by the sound they make when you handle them or spin them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts