Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have in my possession two count them two of these cars in the original packaging and want to know the value. I was told there are none known to be in existence in the original packaging and that they are worth a lot of money any input would be appreciated. the bottom from what I can read says 1970 indy 500 winner Al Unser I hope the pics help.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
I believe there are a few of these out there in package. Check EBay for a couple of months.

·
Stagger, stagger, crawl.
2,945 Posts
Whoever told you there were none known to exist in the package is F.O.S.!!!!!
Easily under $100

This car came in 4 versions. Al Unser, Parnelli Jones, AJ Foyt and a blank base version. The only "rare" one is the blank base. Find one of those in the package and you have something truly rare!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for input

Can anyone find me a picture or some proof that one exists I'm not calling anyone a liar I just don't have the network or anything to find out if the claims are true. I would like to see another one in existence then I will know for sure. What is a potato camera anyway.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Can anyone find me a picture or some proof that one exists I'm not calling anyone a liar I just don't have the network or anything to find out if the claims are true. I would like to see another one in existence then I will know for sure. What is a potato camera anyway.
The 1970 line of cars was the most mass produced of any of the Johnny Topper cars. There are more of these cars still available then any of the other 2 years and that would include the BP versions. The bottom of the Al Unser cars that stated "Indy 500 winner" were the second half of 1970 and Topper was pumping them out to capitalize on the victory. The early ones didn't have this on them obviously and I believe they are actually harder to find but there really isn't any difference in price in value from what I've found. FWIW

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
links to info source

Could you please provide links or cite sources of this information. I can listen to people say this stuff all day but I really need facts and sources or pictures of the car in the package like I said I am not calling anyone a liar I just want concrete facts.

·
Registered
10,980 Posts
Could you please provide links or cite sources of this information. I can listen to people say this stuff all day but I really need facts and sources or pictures of the car in the package like I said I am not calling anyone a liar I just want concrete facts.
I understand your need for facts but these people who are helping you are some of the most qualified experts that can be found on Toppers. Feel free to listen to others but I'd bank on what you have heard here. Another thing look how long each of those guys have been Hobbytalk members. There is some experience talking there.:wave:

My 2 Cents

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking For Super Helmet Seven

Hi. I joined this forum because I am trying to find a Topper Toys Super Helmet Seven to buy for my brother who got one when he was a little boy and has not stopped talking about it since (though the helmet is long gone, I'm afraid). I hope it is permissible to be looking for a seller on this forum - if it's not, I sincerely apologize. Any leads will be most appreciated. I've been looking on ebay for a couple of months with no luck - I'd like this to be a Christmas present. Thanks very much! Ellen

·
Premium Member
7,464 Posts
I understand you don't trust us. The only way to find a true value is to put it up for sale for what you think they are worth and see what happens. Even if we show you a link I believe you want to sell them and get top dollar. list them on eBay for $500 and see if you get a bite.

Gerald

·
Registered
916 Posts
Hi. I joined this forum because I am trying to find a Topper Toys Super Helmet Seven to buy for my brother who got one when he was a little boy and has not stopped talking about it since (though the helmet is long gone, I'm afraid). I hope it is permissible to be looking for a seller on this forum - if it's not, I sincerely apologize. Any leads will be most appreciated. I've been looking on ebay for a couple of months with no luck - I'd like this to be a Christmas present. Thanks very much! Ellen
You might have better luck in the forsale section and post 'wanted'. I had a Super Helmet 7 that I sold a few years back. Mine was in the box but missing the glasses. It is very difficult to find one complete with all the parts but I do know they are out there. The One Man Army guns are also cool, but hard to find. Topper made some of the coolest toys in the 60's and I also had a Secret Sam spy case.....so fun, and cool toys they made.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Hi Matt,

From the looks of a few of the names I see who have responded, I'd say you won't find very many others (like Mr Stubbs) who know as much about Topper Johnny Lightning cars.
I have been collecting Toppers (non-stop) since 1969 and a have four thousand, one hundred + cars (counted as recently as 8 months ago). Acquired about another 20 or so just last week. I'd would agree with what some of the others have said here. 100.00 +- (Christmas might bring more bidders). I picked all 3 main variations all under 60 apiece.
These "fantasy" Indy cars are mid/common castings - only colors aside from purple or dark blue will up the price and only minimal at that (antifreeze green/yellow being the rarest color). If these had the plastic wing attachment, this would have added to the price. And had these been the Unser casting in the special Indy 500 card (with Unser's picture), again the value would have added.

Here are two photos I found (one here linked to Hobbytalk). Neither of these are mine, these are just some photos as you requested.

Left car - Regular standard card (of the version "not known to exist in package") :

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l227/hobbs28hobbs28/P8150044.jpg

The rare pricey version with Al Unser Indy 500 card:

http://www.antiquesnavigator.com/ebay/images/2011/300609100579.jpg

Could try Toy Cars Exchange forum if you are still in doubt here.

Good luck.

Peter

·
2011 VW NB Final Edition
2,031 Posts
Mr Stubbs = One of the experts on rare JL. His word is gold to myself and many other JL collectors. :thumbsup:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts