Hobbyist Forums banner

41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
I don't know if it's been mentioned before, but how about palm connectivity??

On the orion site, they show an IpaQ handheld connected to the Orion unit to store the lap info for later use.

JAy

·
Registered
634 Posts
The port on the bottom of a Palm Pilot is an RS232 port, and you can get cables to hook them up to a DB9 plug. So the problem is mainly in making the software.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I own a Sony SL-10, so it my be more difficult to find a serial adaptor for mine. Is there a way to convert a USB port to work as a serial port??

The Ipaq adaptor looked very useful tho!

JAy

·
Registered
173 Posts
You can buy a USB to serial port adapter, but unfortunately they do not seem to be universal - why, I don't know. I was trying to find one to use with my GPS and I ended up buying three different ones before I found one that would work with my laptop and my GPS. Some of the others would work with other serial devices I had, but not the GPS and vice-versa.

·
Registered
634 Posts
If you can get a serial cradle that will also work. It's what I did with my Handspring. It needs a little modification from the basic pinouts. The setup uses the PC, not the Handspring, to power the serial port. You need to give a few pins +5 to attach it to anything else besides a PC.

·
Registered
289 Posts
The system would already have Infrared and every palm has IR. Why not just program the system to send the info via it's IR port to the infrared port on your palm. That would be cool.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hank,

You seem to have a good understanding about a lot of this. Do you have any designs for a smallish 100 Hz datalogger circuit that would do 2-4 channels (SE or Diff)? I have looked, but they either sample at about .5 Hz or need power from a PC (USB powered).

I will pay :)

Thanks
SS

·
Registered
634 Posts
The thing to do would be to start with a microprocessor and attach a large wad of EEPROM. You can upload to a PC via serial. Sense the servo commands from the pins, use an A/D chip for voltage and a Hall sensor for current. Sounds like a good project, but not one I want to tackle while the other things are unfinished...

·
Premium Member
15,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
It would be pretty hard to go at 100Hz, the amount of data to be stored would be huge. That is about 200K of memory required per minute. It is 400 pieces of info per second so you are actually looking to operating at close to 4000Hz with the overhead (read, convert, write, etc.).

Something that samples at 5 Hz would be easy with 10Hz not much harder. Of course it would all have to be custom built... very doable but would take some development time. To make sure there are no problems a seperate battery pack would need to be used. Not really that bad as many already use a receiver pack and that could do double duty to power the unit.... 6 cells would be better then the 5 cells that are normally used.

What I am actually looking at doing is making a "real time" DAQ where the data would be transmitted via RF to a computer in real time. Then you could let the CPU run at full speed and sample as fast as it, and the program, would allow and not worry about data storage. I figure it could do 6 channels at least 50 Hz, most likely more.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hank,

This is something that I believe could be VERY useful to R/C car racers. The Miles brothers have done something themselves, but I hear it has been fairly pricey. I would like to work this out, but circuit design is for me.

If you plan to develop this for sale, keep me posted. If not, consider what you would charge me to make a couple units.

Thanks
SS

·
Premium Member
15,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
The plans for anything I design will be freely available to anyone. I may offer a "parts pak" that would include everything needed to make it. That would save someone from having to buy from a half dozen suppliers and would also include a circuit board to mount everything on. My guess is the cost would be less then $300

·
Registered
981 Posts
From what I've seen, you'll need at least 10Hz to see what's happening on the track. Especially for the oval guys.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
I want a RPM sensor on my personal data logger... I thinnk with RPM I could tell most of what I'm missing... Voltate and Amp would be nice too, but I could likely live without that, if we were talkinga bout something cheap...

Oh wait a minute... this is the personal lap counter thread... could you throw a RPM logger in with it?

41 - 60 of 101 Posts