Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Because the UK is still in the dark ages when it comes to ease of getting hold of casting supplies that don't break the bank for the invidiual user, it can be a costly and frustrating experience.

I stumbled across this stuff from Polycraft on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polycraft-SG2000-500g-Fast-Cast-Polyurethane-Liquid-Plastic-Casting-Resin-Kit-/230758906234?pt=UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&hash=item35ba4d797a

I'm not affiliated with the seller in any way - just wanted to pass on a cheap and easy way to cast stuff without using expensive toxic resins.

Its a simple 1/1 mix thats stirred for 60 secs the poured - air bubbles are rare and it sets to a white finish in about 5 mins (I put it under a lamp to speed up the process) and is de-mouldable in 10 mins.

I've got some nice results - I am a complete casting amature so this has been a god-send (their mould making silicone is good too!)

Regards,

steve:thumbsup:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi all,

Because the UK is still in the dark ages when it comes to ease of getting hold of casting supplies that don't break the bank for the invidiual user, it can be a costly and frustrating experience.

I stumbled across this stuff from Polycraft on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polycraft-SG2000-500g-Fast-Cast-Polyurethane-Liquid-Plastic-Casting-Resin-Kit-/230758906234?pt=UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&hash=item35ba4d797a

I'm not affiliated with the seller in any way - just wanted to pass on a cheap and easy way to cast stuff without using expensive toxic resins.

Its a simple 1/1 mix thats stirred for 60 secs the poured - air bubbles are rare and it sets to a white finish in about 5 mins (I put it under a lamp to speed up the process) and is de-mouldable in 10 mins.

I've got some nice results - I am a complete casting amature so this has been a god-send (their mould making silicone is good too!)

Regards,

steve:thumbsup:
Thanks for the heads up Steve:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
NOT AVAILABLE TO THE U.S.
I was hoping that this would be a lifesaver since the resin I'm using now gets way too many airbubbles, and voids in the parts. I don't know what I'm going to use now. I'll have to do some more searching. I'm using polyurethane at the moment, but I have my eye on some epoxy resin. I'm not sure what other types of resin are available, but I hope to get something with lower viscosity with around 40 - 50 centipoids (liquid surface tension) that will make it easier to fill the tiniest parts of my moulds. I have to buy some more rubber to make more moulds for the wings and fuselage - a quart just isn't enough for all the parts I've had to make so far. I was hoping to try something a little different in the hope that it will make my life and modeling easier.​

1 - 3 of 3 Posts