Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I'd post this old pic of the U.S.S. Xerxes from the 1973 FJ Tech Manual that my Dad and I built back in the good ol' 1980's.

The strange blue paint job on the nacelles matches the old "TV BOX" paint scheme from the kit box of that era.

This was also from the days when I'd just build a kit and go with the grey plastic colour. You know...when kit building was simple and fun! :D when you use to build your models on Saturday and Sunday with your Dad in the basement and theorize about who lived on the Enterprise and what types of adventures Kirk and Spock would have in Star Trek 2....before we knew it to be Wrath of Kahn.

The bridge dome was cut from these green plastic flower fertalizer spoons that came with the garden supplies back then.

The neck has two scribed in panels, simular to the panels on a Constitution Class starship's engine pylons. (My dad put those in as I was too young to do it myself...but that was 20 years ago. Dad even scribed in the cross hatching!)

The destroyer U.S.S. Xerxes patrols a new sector of space close to the Romulan Neutral Zone.

You know, it was really hard to get this model in space. I had to use a really tall ladder.:wave:

Anyway, I'll have to take some better pics of this kit in the future. These pics hail from 1998.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Pretty cool for 10 yrs ago- its amazing how many different versions you can kit-bash, your imagination is the limits!
Steve

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Totally!

Now here's some new Green Screen shots of the same model taken tonight, November 13th, 2009.

That green dome on the top was created by carving out an old Gardening plastic measuring cup. Also note the two saucer mounted Phaser Banks on Port and Starboard. The numbers are from the old decal sheet and are of an inaccurate Star Trek font.

The underneath of the ship. The square hole in the bottom of the engine was filled with styrene sprue and then filed (Poorly) to shape. Those two holes are from our original stand...which must still be in North Vancouver somewhere. If I rebuild this model, I'm going to rotate the engine so the central Power Stage Magnatomic Flux Chiller is pointing downwards as per the FJ Tech Manual page TO:03:11:20.

Looks like Photo #1, but the back of the engine is now lighted.

Here's a nice view of the sensor array. This piece is 7/8" long, scaled and tapered correctly from the FJ drawing.

Here's a close-up of the neck pylon vents. My Dad scribed these into the plastic complete with the grid design. Notice how the windows "Jog" down the neck? This would be the Turbo Elevator's run. Strangly enough, I don't think there would be too many rooms in the neck. to justify a turbo elevator.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts