Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This ship was finished a few years ago, but I thought I'd just take pics of it on my workbench instead of in space.

This is an older AMT 18"er kit. I had to remove the grid lines and pin heads act as phasers. Bare Metal Foil in chrome and gold act as windows. All the panels like the red and yellow and white "L's" were cut from sheet styrene and glued in place. If you look in the bridge dome, you can see a photo reduced top view of the bridge. The decals were scanned into my computer and edited from the 22" Cut away Enterprise model and original 18"er decals. In most cases, I had to edit the font to create numbers that didn't exist. All I had was "1701".

This nacelle nose cap was hand painted to match the Polar Lights 1:1000 scale kit. I started off by spray painting the cap silver, painting the spinner lines and then adding white dots for lights before painting the entire cap with Tamyia trasperant red and some pearl powder.

The underside of the saucer shows the styrene ring I crafted by cutting down a flat sheet of styrene and drilling a hole into it. (A hard process!)

The underside of the Secondary Hull. These decals were scanned from the 22"er and reduced down to fit the 18"er. My printer only prints in Black and White, so I had to hand paint the colours on top of the decal.

The navigational deflector came from one of the eariler AMT kits. I found it in a box of parts someone gave me in the 1990's. The original "Point" was gone so I drilled in a spiggot from a cigarette lighter.

The side pennant is a combination of my hand drawn B&W decal and the kit supplied red decal. Note the Bare Metal Foil windows. These were cut out individually and stuck on by hand.

A different view of the front of the Warp Drive engine. The Buzzard Collectors were hand fabricated by chopping up the kit supplied intercoolers and glueing on thicker styrene and then cutting them to the shape of the collectors in the Polar Lights kit. You can also see the primer grey areas just behind the collectors. This was masked off before the ship was painted light grey.

The rear intercoolers in the kit have an inaccurate shape. They are flat on the top side and angled on the bottom, or vice versa depending on the right or left side of the part. This was so that AMT could easily get the part out of the mold. I filed down the angle until it became flat, this restoring the intercooler to it's propper "Box" shape.

The bottom lip of the shuttle bay has the ship's name on it. This decal came from the old AMT 3-in-1 Federation/Romulan/Klingon set. It was used on the bridge on the smaller models.

I'll get some "overall" shots up sometime with the space backdrop. Enjoy these "Bench" pics for now.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You're welcome! This is probably my best one to date and the most acurate to the actuall studio model that I want to get, or can get using the 18"er.

Actually, this isn't a true statement. I'll do better than this one in the future due to the fact that this ship is as close to the production Enterprise in all aspects except that it has a Christopher Pike era navigational deflector and AMT "Holes" in the bottom of the saucer.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tried to get a better pic of the bridge, but it's hard. Also, my camera batteries are weak and I don't know where the new ones are. So I get 1 or 2 pics and then have to wait for the batteries to regain some power.

A close up of the bridge. Under the dome is a photo-reduced drawing of the bridge from the Star Trek Technical Manual by Franz Joseph.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I'm not into the Trek kits much (I know, blasphemy for sure! :p), but you did a great job on this, the only Enterprise I would think of building. Very nice work!

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

This is as close as I can get to the bridge decal. The domes on this kit are the clouded type, so seeing inside, even this much, is a miracle. I can't wait to see how this looks on my new release with the greenish-clear domes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts